Monday, February 2, 2009

Homemade dog food

First I don't want to hear about how you can make your dog sick by making their food(lovingly said). Our cat was poisoned by tainted cat food and eventually died a long painful death. Yes I understand that if your not careful they can get very sick. But after all the vet bills and eventually finding out that our animals were being poisoned we decided to make our own pet food. The strange thing is our dog Jessie and our two cats, Harry and Cinders were all poisoned but only Cinders passed away. I think that it had to do with her being the oldest. But I don't know, it's just a guess.
Another good side effect of us making Jessie her food is that she has only had one seizure in 2 years. This is a miracle because she was having about one seizure every other week when she was eating dry dog food. It was getting to the point where she was going to have to be medicated. So this is a nice side effect of making her food. It proves to me that we are doing the right thing.
To make her food we just save all of our meat scraps and it's kind of nice knowing that almost all of our food is being used. Anything else goes to the birds or the cute raccoon family that lives under the neighbor's shed. Anyways, if your animal is sickly I would really check into making your own food. Just research different recipes until you find one that your pet likes.
For Harry, we were making cat food for a while but he was so picky that we went back to cans of cat food. He doesn't seem to be having any problems and he was wasting so much food that I'm ok with it for now.
It is a lot more work but I feel that their health is worth the extra effort.
Thanks for Reading,

No comments: