Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My $.55(ish) rolls



-->
These are the french bread rolls I made. I think that they actually cost less than $.55 but I have no idea how much the yeast cost. I buy 2 bricks of it a year and they cost about $3.99 a brick. SO really that doesn't help either of us figure out the costs but we bake quite a bit throughout the year. I could have broken it down by using those little packages of yeast but then it would of cost way over $1 for the rolls. Anyways, they are yummy and easy. Making bread is really easy like this, it just needs time to rise. And the best part is you get to punch it! I love being immature.
I got this recipe off the internet a long time ago and I have modified it quite a bit so I don't know who gets credit for it. But here it is...
French Bread Rolls
5 to 5 1/2 cups of flour
5 teaspoons yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1.) In large bowl add 2 cups flour, 5 teaspoons yeast, and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 2 cups very warm water and mix well.
2.) Mix in the rest of the flour and knead into a firm ball. I knead right in the bowl so I don't make a mess. Knead 10 minutes.
3.) Place the ball into a greased bowl and cover, let rise 1 hour.
4.) Punch down and let rise another 10 minutes.
5.) Divide into 8 balls and place on 2 greased cookie sheets. I sprinkle the cookie sheets with cornmeal so they don't stick.
6.) Let rise anywhere from 45-60 minutes.
7.) Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
This is a very forgiving recipe. One time I forgot it and it rose for almost 3 hours. I just punched it down. Another time I didn't have enough time and I only let it rise for a hour total. It was flat but still really tasty. I did brush these with butter because I wanted the picture to look better but I normally don't do that. It doesn't change the taste just the look.



-->

No one ever complains about having to eat these and I always have enough left over for the next night. We usually have this with homemade vegetable soup. So tomorrow, we will have left over soup, salad and the french bread roles. So for a few minutes of measuring and 10 minutes of kneading, I have enough good bread for two nights.
Thanks for Reading,
SonyaAnn

No comments: