Thursday, May 21, 2009

Frugal Failure

I'm never going to finalize our budget. After all the problems we had with the transmission, sort of being forced to refinance the house, and everything else that is going on, this is the last thing I want to do. But here we are again! I took Donna Freedman's advice and looked for the "sweet spot" with our budget. I went past the recommended spot and cut it to the quick. OUCH! I really wanted to have the house paid for in 7 years but I don't have enough wiggle room. Den took us all to the movies for Mother's day and we realized we hadn't gone to the theater in five years. Everything is so tight we aren't able to do to much. I'm not saying that I'm going to blow all of our money but we need to be able to do something once in a while. So I refigured everything and I'm going to keep $25 a week for fun money. I don't feel comfortable telling what Den makes but he covers our bills and that's about it. What I make from cleaning covers the extras. So I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't find a way to stick to the budget but it's also nice to know that we will be able to take the kids for ice cream every once in a while. We are going to scale back from paying almost four extra payments a year on the house to almost three extra payments. And the really sad thing is even if we pay the house off in 8-9 years we will only be paying off the house a few years early. I wish I knew then what I know now and started paying extra the minute we moved in. Hindsight is so ego bruising.
So here is the new budget......
1300.00 House payment(bi-weekly) so we save $325 a week
122.00 Car Insurance
183.00 Nicor and Comed
25.00 Home phone
280.00 gas for all three cars
40.00 satelite
480.00 groceries for the month 120.00 a week
114.00 Den smokes
70.00 garbage and water
20.00 synthroid and iron pills for me
2634.00 total
And the break down is.....
Week 1 -$325 house, $219 food,gas & cig, $70 garbage & water, $20 pills
Week 2- $325 house, $219 food, gas &cig, $122 car insurance
Week 3- $325 house, $219 food, gas & cig, $105 Nicor, $25 phone
Week 4- $325 house, $219 food, gas & cig, $78 Com Ed, $40 Satellite
We are kind of thinking about dropping the home phone. That would put an end to the threatening phone calls. But it would force them to show up here so I'm not sure if this is a good plan. I can't wait to tell you that whole story!
Thank you all so much for sticking by me. I know I've been a bad friend by not stopping by to visit each of you but I'm doing the bare minimum just trying to get caught up. Don't give up on me yet.
Thanks for Reading,
SonyaAnn
I'm off to clean so if I don't get back to you for a while, that's why!

No comments: