Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Our FL Trip

I'm a hypocrite. I know this. All I do is complain about money and then I go and spend more than budgeted. But just by a smidge more. Remember how I went on about our FL Disagreement. I wanted to spend a bit more and fly and Den wanted to drive. This was my break down of what I thought it would cost. And yes, I know I over analyze and that I might go too far. But this was the best guess that I could come up with. And I researched everything the best that I could on line and I took into consideration that if we drove we would be saving money because we could bring a cooler. Anyways, here is what I thought it would cost both ways.

Driving 9days/8 nights
Gas $400
Food$600
Hotel $620
Park tickets $650
Souvenirs $400
TOTAL $2670
Flying 7days/6 nights
Flights $800
Food $600
Hotel $420
Park tickets $650
Souvenirs $400
Car rental $200
Gas $50
Luggage $60
TOTAL $3180
So while I was at Slick Deals the other day, there was a comment about hotel rooms being on sale in FL. We are really weird but we only like to stay at the same hotel. It just doesn't seem like our FL trip if we don't stay at the Comfort Inn. We know where everything is from there and the last time we went with our in laws, we stayed in a super nice time share but it was somehow disappointing. The kids have such wonderful memories from this place and it is just a wonderful habit. It's not the greatest hotel but you get your moneys worth plus some. Anyways,our hotel was having a special that the first night was $9.99 if you booked it right away and the other nights were $35 each. The cheapest that i had been able to find was $49 a night. So, I called Den and I booked it for a week. And then I found it. Air Tran is offering a $25 off voucher. I had been searching on line and the best that I could come up with was $775-800. So with a bit of finagling, I got round trip tickets for all of us for $637.80. I could have gotten another $100 off but I would have had to book each flight as a one way ticket instead of round trip. It was nerve racking enough knowing that we all might not get on the same flight. All I could think about was having to leave DJ in the airport all alone cuz I wanted to save some money. So I just booked each flight one at a time but round trip. So here is how it breaks down now.

Driving 9days/8 nights
Gas $400
Food$600
Hotel $620
Park tickets $650
Souvenirs $400
TOTAL $2670


Flying 7days/6 nights
Flights $800/637.80
Food $600
Hotel $420/247.49
Park tickets $650
Souvenirs $400
Car rental $200/159.47
Gas $50
Luggage $60(2 pieces both ways)
TOTAL $3180/ 2804.76
So for an extra $134.76 we are flying and getting two extra days in Florida. And I didn't even figure in Den getting any speeding tickets. He likes to do that when we drive far distances. The only bad things about the flights are we are leaving Milwaukee at 4pm on a Saturday and flying back the following Saturday at 8 am. But we aren't flying out of crazy OHare so its all good. But I would have liked to leave early and come back late but what can ya do.
We all know this is our last trip. Anna will be starting college in one year and we won't be going any where after that so I'm glad that we are flying. I'm just hoping that this trip isn't spoiled like the last two.
If you can think of anything that I have forgotten, please let me know.
Thanks for reading,
SonyaAnnp

No comments: