Tuesday, January 26, 2010

OMG Cookies!!

I know it's hard to believe but I made up a cookie recipe and it actually turned out! Who knew? I didn't. Not to brag, well maybe to brag a bit but these are amazing. Usually my oatmeal cookies are flat but these are not. They are nice and crunchy on the outside and gooey in the middle! Just looking at it is making me hungry! So here it is.........
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
6 cups oatmeal
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 cups of walnut pieces

Cream butter, sugar, & brown sugar
+ eggs & vanilla, mix well
+ flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda, & nuts, mix well

roll into golf ball size balls
bake @ 350 for 8-10

The only problem that I had with this recipe was my oven. It's a GE so basically everything on one half of my oven is burnt beyond recognition and the other side is raw. Using the oven is a test of your patience every time. So I'm not completely sure about the cooking times. Because after using the oven for about an hour the temperature likes to change. So makes sure you keep an eye on them until you figure out your bake time. Every time I make cookies, I can leave them in about 4 minutes and then I have to flip all of the trays. Then I have to stand there and watch them and then sniff the oven to see if anything is burning. Maybe if I had a decent oven, I wouldn't mind cooking. Maybe my problems in the kitchen aren't my fault maybe it's the oven. I'm not buying it for one minute, how about you?
Thanks for stopping by,
SonyaAnn

23 comments:

A.Marie said...

Oh, those look really really good.. My Mom makes cookies like that and they never last too long around her place!

Always blame the oven! :)

Marilyn's Money said...

Have ya seen my oven? Its the house original, built in from the 60's, everything is cooked or baked at 300 degrees!

Annie Jones said...

Those sound good, and it looks like a big batch. How many did it make?

slugmama said...

they do look good! Is that a 'special' recipe? I find the recipes on the back of boxes of ingredients sometimes give you the best tasting stuff!lol

I am going to say that your cooking problems are equipment produced. If you have to go to all that...watching constantly and flipping trays around, it's definitely NOT you! If I had to do that to get the food not to burn/be palatable, I'd NEVER cook....
So when are you inviting us over to taste-test?...hmmmm?

Linda said...

Yummy! My hubby's favorite. I only make them when we go camping, then I use the recipe off the Quaker Oats box.(how original) Then being the Chocoholic that I am, I add chocolate chips.
I think it makes them a little bit more healthy.. haha.

McVal said...

Well no wonder! Two cups of butter! They look awesome! Too bad I'm out of butter at the moment...
and eggs...
and flour...

I GOT the walnut pieces! I guess I'm set!

kado! said...

YUMMY!

...no it is totally your kitchens fault!!!!

SonyaAnn said...

TO ALL-DJ had a severe allergic reaction last night. I'm going to be out of the loop for a while. He is alright and they aren't sure what caused it.

Annie Jones said...

I hope DJ is feeling better. Keep us posted about how he's doing and what caused it.

Pam said...

Those look really good! I'll have to make some. I have been scarfing down sweets right and left lately.

SonyaAnn said...

A.Marie-They weren't even cool and they were gone! I always try to make some for the neighbors and they didn't get any!
And I agree, it is always the oven!

SonyaAnn said...

Marilyn's Money-No I haven't seen you oven but if the temperature is consistent you are better off than I am!

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones-I actually thought of that after I made it. But as I lose about half and Den and the kids were eating them right out of the oven(and complaining that they were hot!). I didn't get a count. I'll count them next time, I was too busy swearing at the oven. But it is a large batch, at least 100 cookies. You could cut it on half just to try it.

SonyaAnn said...

slugmama-I made it all up on my own, no help from a box! I know its hard to believe.
You have no idea the amount of effort that goes into cookies. Maybe that is why Christmas is such a bummer for me. The cookies take days because of all the time that goes into flipping the sheet and arranging them so I don't lose too many.
You are welcome to come have cookies with me anytime but you will have to fight the kids and Den. LOL

SonyaAnn said...

Linda-I like your thinking just add chocolate chips to it! Life would be so much better if we used the philosophy every day.

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-I'm out of everything too. I need to go shopping bad. But it isn't going to happen today.We have to register DJ for High school. My baby is going to be a freshman.

SonyaAnn said...

kado!-Now if I could only find a way to blame my life on the oven!

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones-DJ is better. He has been doing this since he was in 2nd grade and they have no idea what it is. My guess is red dye or a virus. We had hoped that he would out grow it but it doesn't seem that way. It is amazing how fast they crash. Thank you so much for asking.

SonyaAnn said...

Pam-I haven't stopped with the sweets since Christmas!

Frances said...

SonyaAnn, those cookies sound great!

And your oven IS the culprit. I have to switch cookie sheets from one rack to the other, halfway though baking, in mine. Otherwise the tops of the cookies on one sheet burn and the bottoms on the other sheet burn. LOL! It took a while to figure out the system, but I finally got it down.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-We have the same oven!! Is it a GE? I bet it is! We are so much alike. Even appliances treat us the same.

Tina ~ Blessings Friends. said...

I will be trying these, they look yummalicious!

SonyaAnn said...

Tina ~ Blessings Friends.-They are good but will completely ruin your diet!