Thursday, February 25, 2010

Anna Get the Hell Out List -written by Frances

I'm so lucky to have all of you, first off. Between helping me shave a few dollars off the bills and helping me with all of my problems, I don't know how you all can stand me! Who needs a therapist when I can just come here? I love the fact that you are all so booger honest with me. That said I need a little more help. Well, Anna needs your help.
I was trying to figure out what Anna will need for college so Dear Sexy Frances jumped in to help.
This is what she had to say and no she didn't say Anna get the Hell out, it was me as usual.
Poor thing wrote a guest post and didn't even know it!

Where ever it is, some things that she will definitely need that you can start collecting are:
1) first aid kit that includes everything she MIGHT need: pain reliever, alcohol, peroxide, bandaids, gauze, tape, scissors, antibiotic ointment, cold meds and whatever else you can think of. You never know what you might need and it is best to be ready when you need it.


2)sewing kit with scissors, needles, assorted threads, pins, etc. (I can sew and was quite popular in the dorm. LOL!)

3)basic tool kit. When I went to college, Dad gave me a hammer, phillips and flathead screwdrivers and some nails. This also made me very popular in the dorm as a lot of girls' families did not think of this. LOL!

Definitely laundry stuff, including some rolls of quarters if she will use pay machines.

How is that for starters? LOL!

Maybe you can write a post and we can all add to your list.

Thank you Frances.
Since I'm ubber cheap, I'm going to start collecting everything now hopefully at a discount. So if there is anything else you can think of please, please let me know.
This will be beneficial to Anna and everyone else that hasn't sent their child away to school.
I'm off to clean so I'll update it when I'm done scrubbing toilets!
Thanks for stopping by,
SonyaAnn


Added to by slugmama ;)

4)2 sets of sheets and pillowcases(find out from the school if the beds are reg. length or XL b/c XL beds need larger sheets), comforter
5)Also don't buy dorm fridges, microwaves, tvs, etc. until Anna speaks with her roomie so they can figure out who is bringing which, since you don't want doubles of that stuff(Anna has all of this thanks to her wonderful cousin that graduated.)
6)I'd recommend a plastic carrying thing with a handle to take 'poo/soap/tbrush/tpaste/etc. to and from the bathroom. With holes in the bottom for ventilation and for drying out is good too.
7)We got Matt a trunk too. It's good for locking up stuff like laptops so they don't get stolen when the kids leave the room unlocked....and they will!lol A trunk can also make a good coffee table in the room.
8)1-a mattress cover(like an egg crate type or a tempur-pedic)as the mattresses are thin and uncomfortable &
9)a small area rug, as the floors are tile or linoleum and quite cold.
Added by Pam. :)
10) towels and washcloths
Added by Snafu! And I'm leaving out the hangover remedy. I pray she won't need it!
11)Girl stuff!
12)Cleaning products
Added by The warrior in me
13)FOOD!
14)a few happy movie dvds to up her spirits when feeling down
15) a journal to scribble in when seething with anger
16)TRUCKLOADS OF MOTIVATION and LOVE.


LOVE TO ALL!

18 comments:

Pam said...

Since I will be needing this list next year, I am excited. What about towels and wash clothes? From what I have seen of dorm rooms they are tiny. Not sure how much stuff can fit into them.

SonyaAnn said...

Pam-I'm going to try to be super compact about it. All of the stuff that she has already was from an EIU dorm room so it should fit.
And good idea about the towels and wash clothes!

SonyaAnn said...

Everyone-I'm off to clean so it will probably be much later today before I can update this!

Snafugirl said...

1. Emergency box of tampons
2. Cleaning products
3. Turbie Twist (I love those things for putting my hair up before blow drying)
4. Economy pack of Gatorade for hang overs...she will have hang overs :)

The warrior in me said...

I'll tell you from my experience-

1. tonnes of insect repellent (don't feel shy to ask- i kind of lived in a forest)

2. packed food- for emergency hunger crisis

3. a camera to document her OMG misadventures, so you believe her if she ever does tell you about them

4. a phone with loads of free home calling minutes to crib

5. a few happy movie dvds to up her spirits when feeling down

6. a journal to scribble in when seething with anger

7. TRUCKLOADS OF MOTIVATION and LOVE.

Let me know if this helps.

Frances said...

ROFL!! I just saw the title of this post. I haven't even had time to read it, but had to comment anyway.

I came to tell you that you won a book on Pam's blog. I was so excited to know one of the winners!

http://momsmutterings.blogspot.com/

Congrats!

Frances said...

SonyaAnn, you owe me $5000. That is the fee I charge for guest posting.



Ummmmm....Just kidding. Get up off the floor....SonyaAnn....SonyaAnn. Are you okay.

This post really is a great idea for you and anyone else sending their kid off to college. I will try to think of some more ideas, though I am sure you will be getting a ton more from everyone.

SonyaAnn said...

Snafugirl-Good ideas! But we aren't going to even get her Gatorade! She is there to study. I sound like an old fart. Like I could stop her from having a bit of fun. But being mom I try not to think about that too much.

SonyaAnn said...

The warrior in me-Yes, it does help! And I'm asking, why all the insect repellent?
And she is getting an extra helping of motivation!
Anna and I were thinking about a "happy box" for when she gets homesick. Maybe I'll just make her one before she goes and ask her to save it until she is having a bad day. I was thinking maybe some notes too.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-I'm glad you liked the title!
Thanks for telling me about the win! I haven't had time to make my rounds. Cleaning toilets is such a joy!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Had to laugh. Good luck getting your money or my ass up off the ground!
And yes this really is a good post! Thank you.

McVal said...

I don't know if my son will EVER wise up and get his butt off to college. He's moving back home this weekend, so maybe there's hope yet... If I can just look past the tattoos and body piercings... It's been an interesting year...
So this list probably won't help him, but I know my 15 yo is definitely college bound so I'll be taking notes, scribbling madly.
Thanks everyone for these great tips! And I'm sure Anna will do great, with or without the hangover remedy!

The warrior in me said...

The medical school i went to, was a palace in the woods, at best- that is why!

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-To be honest, I wonder if she will graduate. She is immature. So I wonder how she is going to fair on her own. DJ I don't worry about, he is just like me. Den is worried sick about Anna. I asked him why he worries about Anna and not DJ. He hesitated for a while and finally said that DJ is like me. HA! At least, he realized that I'm the one keeping it together here!

SonyaAnn said...

The warrior in me-What did you go to school for?

SonyaAnn said...

The warrior in me-Never mind, I just learned to read!

The warrior in me said...

Haha! Just saw that!

SonyaAnn said...

The warrior in me-Thank you for adding to the list!
Have a great weekend!