Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ms. Frued

I'm doing terrible at my diet. Some days I do great and other days my taste buds win and I eat whatever I want. So I pulled a Frued on myself. The sad thing is my realizations are just common knowledge for everyone else! But bare with me for a moment. I'm not bragging but I'm pretty decent with our budget. We live in a very expensive area and we make it on about half of what everyone else is making. It is because we are so careful with our money. Then I started thinking about why it is that I can put our wallet on such a restrictive diet but not myself. If our wallet was alive it, would have starved to death long ago. Why did it work? Ahh Ha, it's because I have a very clear budget. It is written out and it is automatic. I write one check every three months for water and sewage. Everything else is charged to the credit card(I get points for it and pay it in full every month) or is taken right out of checking. I don't have to even think about it.
I like to be organized with our daily events but I can't remember it all. I have a calendar that all the big events are written on and a notebook that I write out everything that needs to be done for the day. A lot of it is repetition but if it doesn't make it to the To Do List, it isnt happening. So the problem with my diet is there is no planning involved. We grocery shop once a month and only buy fruit, vegetables, and milk on the other weeks. I'm reworking our master monthly list. It will be a bit more expensive but it will be worth it. I also need take time every day to have healthy snacks for all of us. If I write "make snacks" on my daily To Do List that will help ensure that it gets done. I think this should help to get this family a little more healthy. We don't eat fast food and very rarely make processed meals but we aren't cooking as healthy as we should. Changing the monthly grocery list should insure more healthy meals. This is going to take a while to see if it works but I think I got to the root of my problem. If you think I need more counseling just let me know!;)
Have a great day,
SonyaAnn

14 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I am such a list-maker and list-follower. I have to have everything, almost, on a list. I may decide not to do some of the things on my list, but if they aren't there, they won't even be considered!

I plan menus regularly, but it's a good thing that I love variety in my cooking more than I love order. Otherwise, I'd be one of those women who makes roast beef on Sunday, spaghetti on Monday, meatloaf on Tuesday, etc. LOL!

Good luck with your planning!

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones- I live by the list! If it isn't written out, it ain't happening.
I'm terrible with menus but it isn't all my fault. Den was a chef so he likes to change it up at the last minute. I'm trying to rewrite the list so that it is more interchangeable. I shouldn't complain because Den is such a good cook. But it makes it hard to keep to a budget.

McVal said...

I'm a list maker, but not a follower... We are terrible at budgeting but I plan to get better this year.

Pam said...

I have a grocery shopping list. I rarely buy it--unless it is a great buy--if it is not on our list. I am probably oc!

Nancy said...

SonyaAnn, when your done will you do one for me too? Pretty please -with whip topping and a cherry on top? What a great idea - never dawned on me - I opened my wallet this morning and dust was all I found.

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-I think that I'm so anal about the lists is because I can't remember it all. Now I just wish that everyone here would do something off of the list!

SonyaAnn said...

Pam-We can be oc together! I do deviate from the list every once in a while but Den is the worst!

SonyaAnn said...

Nancy-Sure! Anything for you! And I think that our wallets are related!

Tina ~ Blessings Friends. said...

Hey, thanks for visiting me!
I'm a list maker too, especially at the grocery store. I forget everything unless it's written down. And I have to work hard to remember to look at the list and the calander. I'm just a lost cause sometimes.

SonyaAnn said...

Tina ~ Blessings Friends.-They say that really smart and successful people make lists, I say they are just really forgetful and trying to play it off!

Frances said...

I have to say, the only lists I ever make is shopping lists. I never write to do lists.

You are more organized that I!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-I don't feel organized. I blame the kids!

kado! said...

ha! I laughed about the line "if your budget were alive...." that was Funny!!!

I don't think there is much to add...sounds like you got it all figured out! I think that is an awesome plan!!!

SonyaAnn said...

kado!-I just hope it works! It is quite a bit more expensive. I didn't go overboard on the healthy bit but it is a huge improvement! We will see if this helps my fat ass, literally!