Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Almost a Winning Lotto Ticket!

I'm almost afraid to jinx this one. So I'll speak softly and hopefully I won't tempt the bill gods.
My neighbors were in a pickle. The were going away and their dog sitter backed out on them less than a day before they were supposed to leave. I'm not even going to get into the fact that the woman that was going to dog sit was going to lock the dogs in a cage in the back yard for $25 a day or the fact that her boyfriend decided that that wasn't enough and wanted $50 or it wasn't happening.
So anywho, I said that I would do it. The dogs are under 5 lbs each and I had no plans. So I grabbed our mail and walk over to let the dogs out. As I'm walking I'm thinking, "Self, I wonder if this good deed will be repaid." Now don't think that I wanted money from them, that wasn't the point. She tried to pay me and then my kids and no one would take it. Everyone helps each other around here and we let karma reward us.
Karma was good to me! I let the dogs out and then sat at their table and went through our mail. Low and behold, there was a letter from Blue Cross. I figured that it was from when DJ tried to paint the house in puke. But no, it was from when Anna had her wisdom teeth removed. Our dentist had given us a referral to the oral surgeon. But what I didn't know until after wards was that had we went to our Dr. we could have gotten a referral from him and it would have been covered. I know that it was a surgery but still it didn't even cross my mind to go to our Dr about her teeth.
I was talking to the office workers at the Oral Surgeon's office(after the surgery) and they told me of my mistake. They said they would try and submit it but our insurance group doesn't back date so it was a loss. CRAP! That was almost $1500 down the drain. A small piece of my frugal heart died that day!
I'm afraid to say that the paperwork has been approved. Now I'm sure that this can change and I won't believe it until I see it but I felt as if I had hit the lotto! What a huge relief. We are getting slammed by little college bills here and there. I've been paying what I can and then taking the rest out of Anna's savings(with her permission, of course). It's $50 here or $250 there, and it is adding up. So I'm going to take $1000 and set it aside for all the little college bills. So fingers crossed.
We will have to wait for the oral surgeon to cut us a check so it may take a while. Den said that I should call and thank them and try and find out when they will be mailing it. But I think a plate of cookies may be in order.
If we do get it, I'm going to tithe $150 and send it to our local food bank. $1000 for any college expenses and maybe save the rest for our Six Flags passes or the WI state fair.
I did think about throwing it all at the "funds". It would knock it down a lot faster but I figured that I'm still on track and all the college bills would throw me off anyways.
I'll let you know if it all works out!
Thanks for coming to see me,
SonyaAnn

24 comments:

Sheila said...

I love "found" money. I'm like you--I wouldn't want to call them in case it would jinx it. Those little bills sure can add up quickly.

Annie Jones said...

I hope this really is what it appears to be; it would be such a help for you. :)

Eternally Distracted said...

Ooooo fingers crossed :0)

McVal said...

Criminy! If you get a dr's referral, insurance would've paid?! dang.

Frances said...

Personally, I don't think a thank you to the oral surgeon OR a plate of cookies is in order. They should have told you before the surgery that your insurance required a dr. referral.

I have dealt with a LOT of doctors and medical expenses over the last several years and if the dr office can't follow my insurance company's rules, that dr won't get paid. I tell them that all the time.

I'm glad you will have that extra money, but I think the oral surgeo was wrong to not tell you before the surgery.

Crystal Young said...

I think it is really great that you are going to pass along some more good karma with your donation! Good for you.

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

Together We Save said...

I hope it works out for you. And please don't mention those little college bills... you are reminding all to often that I have a junior who is wanting to go to college 5 hours away. And a sophomore who just wants to go! LOL

Jude said...

Yay for you and Anna too! They're 'out' of the way - and you're not out the money - bonus!

Beth said...

Praying this works out for you. $1500 is a lot of money! Too bad they didn't let you know you needed a referral - boo on them!

SonyaAnn said...

Sheila-I really hope that it goes through. The college bills are starting to roll in!

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones-Knock on wood! What's his name?

SonyaAnn said...

Eternally Distracted-And toes!

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-I was so upset when I found that one out! I'm surprised that I didn't cry.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Honestly, I didn't think about it like that. They really should have asked me when we made the appointment about the health insurance. Now all I need you to do is straighten out my primary Dr. Or should I say DocTard!

SonyaAnn said...

Crystal Young-I try and do that when every we get a bit extra. Now all I have to do is hope that they refund us.

SonyaAnn said...

Together We Save-Honestly, every time that we get a letter from EIU, I want to clutch at my chest!

SonyaAnn said...

Jude-I agree completely!:)

SonyaAnn said...

Beth-Thank you for the prayer. And you know better than anyone that it is always something!

Feeling Just Right said...

Wow. I am so happy for you! Tithing is good. I'm very proud of you!

God bless :)

SonyaAnn said...

Feeling Just Right-I have to say that that is one of the nicest compliments that I have gotten in a long time! Thank you.

Donna Freedman said...

Re the state fair: Does your local version of the Entertainment Book include BOGO admission coupons? The Washington ones do. I think you can go to the EB site and browse before buying.
At this point they're starting to discount the EB -- but don't buy it from their home page. If you get it through MyPoints or a cashback site, you'll get it even cheaper. I recently bought a second copy for $11.55 after the cashback. It will pay for itself the second time I use a restaurant BOGO to take my sister out for lunch after church (we take turns buying). And then there's the little matter of the free soft pretzel coupons...

SonyaAnn said...

Donna Freedman-I think that there is a way to get discount tickets but my in laws said that they can buy them at a discount. So I'll look into it that way.
And I'm a sucker for the fried donuts. Its the most delicious heart attack you have ever tasted.

kado! said...

love it when you get little happy surprises like that!

SonyaAnn said...

kado!-We don't get these very often so I'm overjoyed!