Thursday, March 25, 2010

Extra Money!

I never get to say that we have extra money but I think we do! And I have to hurry and put it in a fund. I have found that if I have any money and it isn't earmarked, I spend it. It's weird but if I don't label it, its gone. But at least, I have realized this odd quirk so hurry and help me.
I saved $700 for glasses. Mine only cost $316.22. Den went through his contact supply and has more than enough to last him until next year. He also wears his glasses quite a bit so that should help to stretch it out a little longer. And the good thing with Den is that his prescription hasn't changed much since high school.
My eyes are getting better! Now that my thyroid is being properly dosed and my adrenal gland is also being regulated my eye sight is getting better. I never knew that there was even the possibility of that happening. It feels almost as if my entire body is healing. I have never ever experienced this kind of good health in my entire life. But that is for another post!
We have an extra $383.78 left over! Wow! So it is going to be fun money.
We love going to the WI state fair. That was the place where I wore a bruise under my toe nail. Who would have guessed that it still wouldn't have fallen off! Anywho, the fair is a wonderful time but it is super expensive just because you have to eat like a pig. Sorry but it is the law in WI at the fair.
Or we could get Six Flags passes and a parking pass. But Den and Anna aren't real big fans. DJ and I love it. Another draw back is that one of the parks has already closed Kentucky Kingdom. I know that they are restructuring because of bankruptcy so maybe this wouldn't be a good investment. It's $65 a pass and $70 for parking for a grand total of $330.
Or maybe we could just save it for little things here and there like the movies or the drive in. A little festival here or there. But I think that we would blow through it pretty fast.
Any ideas?
Thanks for stopping over,
SonyaAnn

25 comments:

Sheila said...

I love "found" money. Whatever y'all use it for--enjoy!!

SonyaAnn said...

Sheila-I'm still not sure what we are going to use it for.
Thanks for coming to see me!

Together We Save said...

Oh yeah it will be easy to blow thru but I say try and spend it slowly and enjoy doing it!!

Frances said...

Okay, if you are just going to blow it, what about letting each family member pick something they would love for the family to do together, that cost no more than 1/4 of what you are going to blow. Then use the money to do one of them a week. Then you would all have input on the spending and the fun.

yonca said...

Hi, I found your blog through Pam. I wish I find some money. That would be great especially for next month:)
Following your blog now;)Have a great day!

SonyaAnn said...

Together We Save-It just goes way too quick if its for bills or fun.
Have a great weekend!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Great idea!! I'll bring it up at the next family meeting. Those meetings are usually held in front of the dish washer. I call them together to show them where the dirty dishes go!

SonyaAnn said...

yonca-I love new people! Thank you for following me. I'll be over in a bit to check out your blog!

McVal said...

Oh wow! Ways to spend money quickly are my specialty! Buy a quarter cow at the local butcher or a half a hog...
Do the Wisc state fair thing!
hmmm.. boy oh boy. the possibilities are endless. Unless of course, it costs over that amount.

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-My guess is it will be over that amount. But it is nice to have a few choices. We aren't going on a "real" vacation so it will be nice to have a bit of fun money. We may end up going fishing for a week but I don't count fishing as a vaca!

slugmama said...

I'm with Frances--let everyone have 1/4 of the cash and decide on how to spend it on the family.
Only do the park passes thing if you will go alot and if everyone gets something out of it.

How about a trip to an outlet(I know there are some up on the IL/WI border)with the $ and finish off your xmas shopping frugally!lol

Nancy said...

SonyaAnn, your throwin' me into a frugal coma! Take that money and put it in a savings account - High yield like an orange ING savings account - let it draw interest while you decide how to use it for a fun outing. While it is drawing interest - look for coupons and discounts that can be used for what ever you are going to do - plan it - don't let that money override your frugal side - Plan the use of the money so that you get the biggest bang for your buck - who says you have to eat at the fair - why not bring a picnic lunch and eat at a nearby park or at your car or under a tree - that's what we do - and then we purchase ONE item of food that we love to have at the fair - Bear and I will share a turkey leg and then we get two ears of corn and man we are done for the whole day!

Make me proud girl - bank that money and plan the use of it!

SonyaAnn said...

slugmama-I like Frances idea too. We haven't been to the movies since Star Trek came out. How long ago was that? And before that it was 2 years since we had been to a movie. The drive in sounds like fun and who knows how long it will be there.
And we do have some outlet malls around here, too. So many choices!

SonyaAnn said...

Nancy-Anna is leaving for college soon and I think that we should do a few fun things before she goes off. We really never do anything so I think that we will put it to a vote. Even though we have done that and we are split down the middle!

The Warrior in ME said...

Don't blow it. Put it in a fund- you're right. The fun and games will come soon.

p.s. i love Frances' idea- let everyone get one small thing they want before you invest.

Helene said...

I'm with Nancy. I never felt better than when I had money in the bank. And when I was able to really put money in retirement and watch the fund grow and also invest in some stocks-that was fun for me. Fun is great for the moment but nothing beats peace of mind.

I've been sick alllllllllll winter-hopefully I am back now. Missed you.

SonyaAnn said...

The Warrior in ME-I like her idea too. I'm going to sit on it for a while and see if I can't "find" a few more dollars to add to it. It's all so exciting!

SonyaAnn said...

Helene-You are right but I never do anything "wild" like this! I guess that I do need to be a little more clear(I smell another post) we save 11% for retirement and we pay 3 extra house payments a year. That is why it is always tight around here, I take every penny I can and leave no wiggle room. That is why I'm always complaining! As usual it is always my fault!

The Warrior in ME said...

Good! "Excited to collect more" is good :)

Frances said...

SonyaAnn, I am all for saving money like everyone else, but you have to splurge once in a while. Isn't that why we all try to save?

SonyaAnn said...

The Warrior in ME-I wish that this happened more often!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Thank you.;)

KCK said...

I asked a girl wearing some darling glasses where she got them. So she is the one that tipped me off to this site- www.zennioptical.com- but I rave about it too. I think you could save even more money, as prior to my Lasik I was blind as a bat and I got three pair of cute frames, with prescription lenses, and only invested $36! I know you don't know me, but try it. Let me know what you find, then let me know. kcjkinder.blogspot.com

SonyaAnn said...

KCK-Thank you so much for taking the time to educate the "blind one!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for any other great article. The place else may just anyone
get that type of info in such an ideal method of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm at the look for such info.
Look at my web-site : business opportunities