Monday, May 31, 2010

Upgrades?

We finally saved up the money to redo the old and yucky garage door. I forgot to take a picture of it when it was on but you get the picture. Ha! As near as we can figure, the garage door was the original one so it was about 28 years old. It was wood so it would swell every time it rained. At the end, it was about impossible to lift when it was wet. It won't be missed!
And this is our beautiful new door! We had $700 set aside for the door. We, of course, got it on clearance and had enough money to spare to by a garage door opener. I won't know what to do with myself when I only have to push a button to open the door. It almost feels as if we are catching up with technology. The only bad news is the power is out in half of the garage. Hmmmm, it looks like we may have to hire someone to come in and fix this one. We have $58 left from the $700 so I'm not sure if that will cover it. The guy next door is pretty handy and out of work so maybe we can work something out with him.
And this is why I don't want Den working on the wiring. Note to self, self do not take a picture of Den when he is bleeding all over. It pisses him off! He dropped the new garage door on his ear and it was sharp.
I told you this house was trying to kill us!
And to all the vets, thank you for all that you are doing and have done for my family! God bless all of you!
Thanks for stopping over,
SonyaAnn

14 comments:

Sheila said...

Congrats on the new door. We got new doors last year--same thing with us--the old wooden doors were original to the house--only ours were disintegrating with each rain.
Poor Den--I think he has luck like Kevin--things just have to screw up when he is trying to make them better. Hope y'all have a lovely day today.

Beth said...

I hope the hubby is OK? The new door looks good.

SonyaAnn said...

Sheila-Ours was disintegrating, too. It was horrible and if it had rained it would take both DJ and I to lift it. Now I can do it with one hand!
Have a great day!!!

SonyaAnn said...

Beth-He is fine. He was zapped by an electrical outlet one project. He can take it!
Have a great day!!

Annie Jones said...

Nice looking door!

We have a garage door, and a an opener with remotes, but no driveway leading to it, because our garage is too small to hold a real car. The house was built in the 60s when cars were the size of boats, but we'd be lucky to fit a Cooper Mini in there even if the garage was otherwise empty of junk (of course, there's THAT issue, too.) WTH was the builder thinking?

Frances said...

The new door looks great! Sorry about Den's ear. Hope it heals quickly. Tell him to get a hard had to wear next time he works on something. :-)

Pam said...

Maybe you will have to spend the last $50 on Den's doctor bill. I can't believe your house would try to kill you after you spent money on it! Sheesh!

Rene W. said...

Ouuuuuch! LOL - I think your house has it in for you guys... RIP garage door!!

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones-Why do builders do crazy crap like that? This house is a mess. Nothing held up and we just go from one problem to the next. I miss my apartment.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-I said that I need to increase his life insurance policy!

SonyaAnn said...

Pam-LOL!!!!!! You are a funny girl!

SonyaAnn said...

Rene W.-I wish it was RIP house. I'll be glad to put this thing out of its misery!!

slugmama said...

I think you need a medicine man to come in and sage your house....then bring in a feng shui person to analyze it.
If neither of those help, I'd hire a disgruntled ex-volunteer fire person to torch it.
I'm sure being outside of Chicago that you could find someone(corrupt politican, former mob member, etc.)to do that deed. If not, I'll send over one of our local slimeballs since we are lousy with 'em.lol

SonyaAnn said...

slugmama-LOL! There are more than our share of crooked scum bags around here!
Maybe I just complain more than others but it seems that we have a ton of things break around here!!!!