Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm a List Maker

For some reason, this song keeps going through my head whenever I say I'm a list maker. So hum it while you read! Something is seriously wrong with me.
Anyways before my ADD got a hold of me, I was going to give you the list that I have been working on for college. This doesn't look like much but it has taken me HOURS. I have had about ten people helping me both parents of college students and college grad. I'm now in the collecting mode. I have been asking around and I have been surprised at just how generous everyone has been. If you know anyone that is graduating from college and you have a child going away ask them for their old stuff. This is probably the best tip you will ever get.
Everything in blue is what we have, black is what we need.


-->
Pens/pencil
Highlighters
Black marker
Erasers
Paper clips
Mini stapler
Paper (loose leaf & computer)
Index cards
Scratch paper
Stamps
Stationary and envelops
Folders
Binders
Scissors
Tape
Duct tape
Sticky dots (gummy)
Book covers
Planner
Trunk w/lock!
Laptop
Printer
Cord
Extra Ink Cartridges
Flash drive
Disks
Backpack
Computer bag
Bed risers
Comforter
Sheets
Blanket
Bed topper
Mattress pad/plastic
Pillows
Rug
Towels
Hairdini
Small lamp for reading/3 way pole light
Light bulb
2 Surge protectors
2 Extension cord
Trash can/bags
Room decorations
Chip closure or clips
Fan
Frig
Microwave
TV
Movies
Alarm clock
Waste paper basket & bags
Fan
Storage bin/s
Deck of cards
Plate/s
Utensils
Cup/s
Disinfectant wipes/paper towels
Tissue
Dish soap (small)
Laundry detergent
Stain stick
Bleach/oxy-clean
Laundry bag
Sewing Kit & safety pins (small)
Tool Kit/sm nails, hooks (small)
Flash light (small)
Mace (key chain)
First Aid Kit/Cold or flu supplies
Suntan lotion
Mosquito Repellent
Shower Caddy
Soap
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Dental Floss
Shampoo
Conditioner
Lotion
Razor
Deodorant
Brush
Rubber bands/scrunchies
Straighter
Hair dryer
Hair spray
Contacts
Contact case
Contact solution
Glasses and case
Sunglasses
Q-tips
O.B./girl stuff
Perfume
Make-up
Nail polish
Nail polish remover
Nail clippers/manicure kit
Mirror
Phone Charger
Tennis Racket/balls
Hangers
Frisbee
Nice Outfit
Shoes/gym, sandals, flip flop, boots
Socks
Jeans
Shorts
Undies & bras
Shirt/long and short sleeve
Swimsuit
PJs
Robe
Sweatshirt
Jacket/ light weight, one winter
Purse(drivers and credit/bank cards/insurance cards)

If there is anything that I missed, I'll add it to the list and repost it. If you have a child going away, I would print this out. After we get her all moved in, I'll add anything that we missed. I hope this helps anyone that is packing up a college bound student!
Thanks for stopping by,
SonyaAnn

20 comments:

Callista said...

dont forget dryer sheets. i always used to cut mine in half to make them last. also the washer/dryers we had were small so a half sheet was good enough :)

Sheila said...

WOW--am I ever glad my kids stayed at home for college. Good luck!!

Callista said...

oh and a dry erase board. i used mine a whole lot for jotting down notes or due dates next to my computer.

A.Marie said...

I remember my first apartment. My Mom helped us get some silverware, dishes, pots and pans and furniture from a thrift store. We also had this awesome owl lamp that I still had to this day. The owl is staring at me while I am typing this! lol

As far as the other stuff, me and my roomie (my twin) collected it as we went along. But, I do remember that extension cords from home were definitely useful as well as batteries for flashlights.

Also, make sure her door has a good lock on it! At my apt. one night, some drunk guy tried and tried to get in...he was on the wrong floor and thought that our apt. was his. Thank goodness for deadbolts!!

Linda Robinson said...

WOW, Now that's a list.... I think you got everything, I wish I was that organized.. I used to always make list.. Now the only list I make is a shopping list for the grocery store.. As much as we go camping I should make a list for that.. We are always forgetting something.. Have a great day my friend... Hugs, Linda

slugmama said...

Stationary and envies?
Do you REALLY think she will WRITE to you?LOLOLOL
Oh, yeah delusional mom.....if anything you'll get a text or an email or a phone call if she's 'old fashioned'.hehehe

IF Staples has a deal this summer on backpacks, jump on it. Last summer they had a "buy a backpack and get a rewards for the whole amount you spend deal". Among the backpacks were backpack/computer bag combos. I got Matt an $80 one from Swiss Gear(very nice one!)and it ended up costing me nothing.

McVal said...

Great list! I'll have to print this off and keep it handy.

Frances said...

That looks like a pretty complete list, except, why do you have to get Anna all new clothes? Is she running around nekkid now?

Head to whatever dollar store you have for some of that. I mean, is there really a difference in paper clips and index cards?

And I don't think she needs a computer bag and a backpack. Most of Sam's friends only carry one bag. Either a backpack or a messenger bag, either of which have a compartment for the laptop. And a lot of times, they just carry their laptop and no bag. They want to lug around as little as possible.

Will she use a planner? Both our girls received nice planners for high school graduation and never used them once.

Donna Freedman said...

Just FYI: The keychain Mace should be packed in the trunk when you drive her there in September. Bad things could happen if it were accidentally triggered while you were driving here there (or if she pissed you off enough to make you grab for her keys).

Pam said...

I will be printing this one for next year. We're going to St. Louis next week for college tours.

SonyaAnn said...

Callista-Thank you!! Thank you!!!

SonyaAnn said...

Sheila-Thank you for the well wishes we are going to need them!

SonyaAnn said...

Callista-And Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Now please pack her up, I'm so not looking forward to that!

SonyaAnn said...

A.Marie-My first apartment was pretty sparse too! That owl must be pretty cute for you to have kept it all this time.
I had the same thing happen when I lived in my first apartment. Some drunk guy on the wrong floor, I got lucky and he left and went and kicked in another door. He went to jail!!

SonyaAnn said...

Linda Robinson-Make a list for camping and then just keep that one and reuse it. That way if I forget anything I can add it to the list for next time. I have kept my list for packing for trips and Thanksgiving for about 10 years. I have gotten my money's worth out of those two pieces of paper!

SonyaAnn said...

slugmama-My brother told me that she would need that! He said he always needed to send something out. And he is super lazy. I'm sure after the first semester that we will have a ton of stuff to bring home!

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-I'm going to update after she goes away and see what was really needed and what wasn't.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Oh that wasn't on my list. This is partly my MIL's list. She is taking Anna to a second hand store for some "new" clothes. It's her present to her.
We did go to the dollar store and get what we could. Did you know that you can get hairdinis there now? I was soooo happy. Those things are great!!

SonyaAnn said...

Donna Freedman-Good idea, maybe I should keep one with me at all times to keep the entire family in line!

SonyaAnn said...

Pam-Good luck all the way around!!! It is a scary process for everyone!