Monday, August 23, 2010

The Actual Numbers!

I'm not sure if anyone is really interested in these figures but I'm going to post them on the off chance that someone will use them as a guide and to help keep me organized.
So here is the break down for one semester at EIU.

Activity Fee 102.03
Athletics Fee 103.65
Biology Course Fee 25.00
Campus Improvement Fee 232.00
Computer Network Fee 48.00
Grant-In-Aid/SEDS Fee 144.72
Health Service Fee 90.90
Legal Service Fee 5.22
New Student Program Fee 100.00
Room/Board - Fall 4127.00
Student Insurance Fee 109.95
Textbook Rental Fee 159.20
Tuition, UG, resident 4064.00
Union Bond Revenue Fee 212.03
Total $9523.70

That is a disgusting number!!! And here is how we are going to be breaking it down.
$9523.70
-$250 for the fall enrollment fee
-$150 for the housing down payment
-$1742 for the Fed Direct Subsidized Loan
-$ 800 for the Federal Pell Grant
-$1425 for the IL MAP Grant
total $5156.00 We are lucky that my inlaws will cover this in the beginning, soooo lucky. And the good thing is she will end up getting more money as she goes along. Here is the break down once we start paying for it.
Including the housing and the enrollment fee the total for the year is
$11112
-$3500 Anna works
-$5200 child support
-$2000 tax credit(still hoping for more)
-------------
$412

God, I hope those numbers are close. But I think that it is still a good idea to post these because I can come back later and see if they match up. There are still quite a few variables in there that I have not added in. Like getting her home, how much she will really make at her job, and spending money. The good thing is her cousin had that job when she was at EIU and that is what she made. We are so lucky that she was able to get the job! And we are still up in the air on the tax credit. All I can do is keep crunching numbers and complaining.
Thanks for once again letting me vent/worry/complain on your shoulder,
SonyaAnn
PS-I don't usually add an update but I had to leave Donna Freedman's comment front and center. I laughed until it hurt. And I love the way she is always trying to help someone pay their bills!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Donna Freedman said...
Maybe her roommate will pay her to go away for a few hours, if you know what I mean... ;-) She could pay all her fees that way and still have enough to treat her roomie to a soda on their way to the STD clinic!

16 comments:

Nicole said...

One of DH's cousins went to EIU. We're going to be subsidizing another cousin to go to one of the state schools (NIU if she can get in because she's an artist), so it's good to see what the additional costs are on top of tuition. Hopefully she'll get some financial aid wherever she goes.

A.Marie said...

Crunch away, my friend! I'll be crunching numbers when my son goes to college (Fall of 2012). UGH!

slugmama said...

Holy crap! You sure do get fee'd to death at EIU....
It's bad when the room/board is MORE than the tuition for the semester.lol
I am writing a check today for #1 son's semester charges...egads!!
At least I don't feel so bad having my wallet raped to the tune of $7,254.80, compared to yours.lol

McVal said...

Holy cra!! I'm going to need to get 5 part time jobs to afford college for my girls!

Frances said...

All I can say is good luck!

SonyaAnn said...

Nicole-Wow, its' great that you are helping! That shows what a good soul you are. And I too, hope that she gets some aid too. Just don't expect it at the beginning at EIU.

SonyaAnn said...

A.Marie-I hope this helps you. I would have loved to have found something like this when we were trying to figure out costs. Good luck!

SonyaAnn said...

Slugmama-Yes, agree I feel fee’d! It still hurt.
And you are a great mama for helping #1!

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-It is super scary. I don’t know if this will help anyone or reads like a horror story!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Thank you!

Donna Freedman said...

Maybe her roommate will pay her to go away for a few hours, if you know what I mean... ;-) She could pay all her fees that way and still have enough to treat her roomie to a soda on their way to the STD clinic!

SonyaAnn said...

Donna Freedman-I laughed until my stomach hurt. Thank you, you funny girl! I told Anna there is probably "juices" all over her room. Which made her flip out and pull out the disinfectant.
I keep telling her to switch rooms. She has 10 days but I doubt she will do it.
And I love how you are looking for a way to help someone pay for college. Hell, the girl should start charging. Why give it away?

Frances said...

In response to Donna Freedman's idea, if Anna's roomie is the type that will be making visits to the STD clinic, she probably won't care if Anna just hangs around and watches.

Sorry, I know I am totally bad.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Bad but funny! I just hope that this works itself out. Anna is not the type that is confrontational so it is going to take a lot to get her to move. But maybe being homeless will push her over the edge. She has to ask for permission to go back to the room! I'm just trying to let it go.
But on a better note, Den and I have stopped trying to kill each other. It was really bad for a while but now that Anna is gone and settled(prob not for much longer!) we seem to be not fighting as much. I think that we both were having a hard time getting used to Anna leaving. Maybe it won't be such a bad thing cuz she was hard to live with.We will see how long this getting alone lasts. Thanks for being there for me it did help a lot.

Frances said...

I guess I need to go back and read. I don't remember what is going on with Anna and her roomate. I would NOT be asking permission to go back to my own room.

I am glad that you and Den are getting along better. It sounds like the stress just got to you both. Having Anna leave, as well as having to worry about the cost was a pretty stressful time.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Thank you so many times over! It's wrong to say but it is much better here with Anna gone. She is a difficult person to deal with at times and worrying about everything pushed us too far. We go through some terrible things but we stick it out. I still don't know why.
And Anna's room mate likes to entertain a lot. I just talked to Anna and she said that she slowed down a bit. LOL