Thursday, October 21, 2010

Say My Name!

All together now, chant my name, SONYA, SONYA, SONYA!
Guess who fixed the Focus? No, guess? Yup, it was me. And you would think that Den would have been cheering me on. I think that I may have bruised his pride a bit and it really didn't help that I was boasting! He got over it fast but I could still see it in his eyes. And I really didn't care.
And you want to know the funny thing about it, every time we thought we had a way to get rid of the car something came up that made us keep it. It has been really weird around here lately. We were going to take a loss and just donate it. Not long after we decided that, the insurance guy called and said that if we kept the car our insurance would go down. Hmmm, that's odd. So we held on to it every time and just decided that when it snowed we would donate it because we didn't want to shovel around it. 
We had a spark plug go out on the Kia. So Den changed it and the check engine light stayed on. He brought it to Auto Zone and they hooked it up to a scanned(pulls the codes from the computer to see what is wrong) then cleared the codes. Sometimes if the codes haven't been cleared and it is fixed, it won't run right. Den talked to the guy a while and decided to buy a scanner. They were on sale for $80(ish) and since he works on our cars and a lot of other peoples, he thought it would be a good idea. He even looked worried that he had spent that much. LOL, I agreed that it was a good purchase because sometimes you can't get the car to Auto Zone so they could run the codes.
So whenever I let the dog out, I see the Focus and on occasion even cuss at it. We spent what, $1300+ on it and it is worse. So I started thinking about how it spits out codes on so many different systems, anything from the engine to the fuel system. And they just keep piling up. Just when he thought that he had one thing fixed more things would come up. I thought about how it sounded like a computer problem and then it dawned on me, it's the computer. So I begged Den to hook it up and clear the codes. And he wasn't a happy camper, he has had it with the car and I don't blame him. He was the one always working on it. So he hooked it up and cleared the codes and it runs like a champ! Grrrrrrr! We may need to get a new Mother board(car computer) if the problem comes back. But at least, now we know what is wrong with it. But since it sat for months the back wheel is making a God awful noise and the muffler had a hole in it. We are going to go with cheap fixes and get it going again. It will save us $20-$25 a week in gas and that money will go right back in the car fund.
Didn't I say it had to be something stupid? So why didn't I figure this out say $1300 ago?
Thanks for stopping over,
SonyaAnn

16 comments:

Annie Jones said...

Computers can be a good thing, but I miss the old days when cars didn't have them.

I hope that did the trick and you can put the Focus back to work.

A.Marie said...

"Go Sonya, Go Sonya!" You are such a smart one!!! :)

Stupid cars...stupid computers! LOL

McVal said...

You're the MAN! I mean WOMAN!!!
Good job!

Dawna said...

Woot! Woot! Go S.A.! Go S.A.! Get down wit yo bad self!

slugmama said...

Well if it saves you having to buy another car, Den can just live with his hurt pride.lol

Great job SA!!
Now come fix my ceilings... ;-)

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones-I hope it works too. Den is taking the day off tomorrow to try and get it up and running. Fingers crossed!

SonyaAnn said...

A.Marie-Thank you and keep it coming!
I just hope this is what is wrong with it for sure!
Have a great weekend!

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-I'm completely fine with being called the man. When DJ was very little, I would ask him who the man was and he would say mommy. It was cute.

SonyaAnn said...

Dawna-I'm down!
Have a great weekend!

SonyaAnn said...

slugmama-He's over it. I just hope this is really the end of it. It was just so many systems with problems that it does seem like a computer problem.
And I'm great with ceiling work and roofing. Who knew? Not so hot at painting!

Frances said...

Way to go, SonyaAnn!! You are so smart. Poor Den't pride. He will get over it. LOL!

nicole said...

Go you!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-He took today off to work on it. Now that it is running, he took it for a test spin and the catalytic converter had a hole in it and it is making a scraping noise. So we aren't out of the woods yet. Just say a prayer to the car gods, would that be Midas?, that he can fix it.
Have a great weekend!

SonyaAnn said...

nicole-Thank you!

Sheila said...

You go girl!!! I hope the fix is still working for y'all. I had a Dodge conversion van we bought in Alaska that kept dying on us. The Dodge place said to disconnect the battery for 24 hours each time it died and it would reset the computer. Like I could go without a car for over 24 hours when I lived on base and worked downtown!! Any way--that worked for a while then Kevin traded it in on his Grand Marquis after we moved to CA--he got tired of it but I loved that van so much that I was willing to put up with the inconvenience. Well--I do digress!! I'm glad y'all got the Focus working. Have a wonderful weekend.

SonyaAnn said...

Sheila-I don't love the ford the way you loved your van. Now the Lumina is a completely different story. Love, love, love that car!
Have a great weekend!