Monday, October 4, 2010

Shouldn't Have Said Anything

This is the inside of the 1999 Lumina. So far, this is my favorite car. It keeps going and going with minimal upkeep. This is the car that Den painted and I'm not even going to mention that it is rusting again and needs to be painted again.
This car started out as mine, then went to Anna, came back to me when the Focus died and Den took my car, and will go to DJ if it lives that long. And what does all of this have to do with the picture? The interior is gray. I know the floor board looks kind of dingy but trust me it's clean just old.
One night when Anna still lived here, she was driving herself and DJ to their grandmother's house.(Sounds like this story should have a wolf) If you have ever driven just north of Chicago, you know what hell is. It was also, a Friday night and there was a ton of construction. Throw in a little brother and Anna had a huge mess! DJ decided he was bored and started yanking the cup holder in and out. She later said that she wanted to smack him but the traffic was too fierce to take her hand off of the wheel. So here is what I was told the conversation went like(my guess is Anna cussed at him too but left that out)-
Cup holder being yank back and forth as fast as humanly possible
Anna-Knock it OFF!
DJ-Haha, you can't stop me
Anna-I'M GOING TO CALL MOM!
DJ-No you aren't, you have to drive.(Can't you just hear the smug little brother tone?)
The cup holder is still being pulled back and forth with increasing speed
Anna-YOU ARE GOING TO BREAK IT! AND IT'S MY CAR!
DJ-You can't stop me!
SNAP!
So we didn't have a cup holder for a while. And every time I had to drive around with a coffee mug in my lap and it spilled, I wanted to kick the boy. I went to my in laws one time and it looked like I had pissed myself cuz I had to slam on the breaks and I dumped water all over myself.
Since poor Den has spent so much time trying to get parts for the cars, he found another cup holder at the junk yard and replaced. And this little fix only cost $2.73! After I thanked him, he apologized for the color seeing as that was the only one he could get.  Have I mentioned that I'm color blind? I would never known!
Thanks for stopping over,
SonyaAnn

14 comments:

Annie Jones said...

How'd we ever survive without our cup holders? I remember when those plastic things came out...the ones you hook into your the car's window to hold a can of pop or a slender cup. We thought those were just the coolest things!

I'm old, though. I can still remember pry-top glass soda bottles and paper drinking straws.

A.Marie said...

My cup holder is broke. Boo. Yay for getting yours fixed! :)

Sheila said...

I'm glad y'all have one car that isn't giving y'all fits. I didn't even notice the cup holder was a different color. Den did good!!! I hope you have a lovely week.

Jill said...

That's awesome you found a replacement! :-) I can't imagine driving with no cupholders and 2 kids!! LOL
Have a great day!
Blessings,
Jill

Frances said...

Who cares what color it is....it's a cupholder! Yeah for not having to go places with wet pants anymore.

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones-I remember the cup holders that attached to the window. They were the coolest thing ever when I was a kid. The first one we ever got was when we were on vacation. It felt like it was futuristic!

SonyaAnn said...

A.Marie-Did DJ break your too?LOL

SonyaAnn said...

Sheila-I'm glad too that we have one that is running without a problem!
Thanks for coming to see me!

SonyaAnn said...

Jill-It was not fun to drive around in this traffic and try and hold a cup between your legs!
Thanks for coming to see me!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-You make me laugh!!!!!

Frances said...

SonyaAnn, I promise I will write something soon! I have been swamped at home and work.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Good cuz I'm going to hold you to it!

Nicole said...

Ah kids. Yay on the cheap fix.

My first big experience driving stickshift was north of Chicago, to and from Canada for our honeymoon. How do they fit so many toll booths in such a short amount of space? And always with the construction... I don't think I've been in such stop and go craziness since, even in Boston.

SonyaAnn said...

Nicole-I have a little brother so I feel Anna's pain when it comes to DJ.
So true, it's like driving off road and having to pay for it here. It sucks most of the time.
Have a great week!