Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stay Clam

I'm about to spend a ton of money on Christmas. Take a deep breath! I'm going to give an explanation and then you can fry me. There are just certain people that I'm not willing to stop buying for. So here it is.....
A friend of mine has three kids, one DJ's age and then one in about 3rd grade and a 5 year old. The kids don't have grandparents on the Father's side. And while they do have grandparent's on the mother's side, they are from a poor country and can't do much. And while it is their Christmas, the parent's believe in educational gifts for the most part. BORING! Let's just say that my gifts are very well received. I'm thinking Wisconsin Dells. They have a lot of great deals in the winter. I'm going to get a $125 gift card from here! And so I don't put a strain on their tight budget, I've been saving our free gas cards for them.
I'm going to put a note in the gift to tell them how to book super cheap rooms and suggest bringing their own food up there so they get to go for free.
This is the gift that I'm looking forward to giving the most and it will be free since I've saved my credit card rewards for this.
I'm off to shop,
SonyaAnn

10 comments:

Annie Jones said...

If you can afford to do this, then I think it's a very nice gift to give your friend and her family. It looks like you can afford it, if you're purchasing it with rewards points.

My concern is about the hotel rooms. Are you positive the family can afford those at any price? If not, are the Dells within driving distance to make it a day trip? Does that resort REQUIRE an overnight stay to use the water park? (One of ours here does, the other doesn't). I think those are valid questions to ask, so that what you're intending as a gift doesn't become a financial burden to this family, or worse yet, doesn't get used at all.

Can you perhaps let the parents in on your plans beforehand to make sure it will work for them? It could still be a great surprise for the kids.

slugmama said...

AnnieJ has some good advice. I'd run the plan by the parents as well, as long as they can keep it secret from the kids.lol

And all I am going to say is you SonyaAnn have a heart as big as the sky!

Taryn said...

I think this is great. It really shows your heart and caring!

McVal said...

What a great idea and opportunity!
Definitely read Annie's response.

Dawna said...

You are so precious! That is the sweetest thing ever.

BIG HUGS
Dawna

Together We Save said...

That is so generous of you!!

Frances said...

That doesn't sound like a ton of money.

Ditto Annie Jones' post.

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones-I wouldn't put anyone in financial danger by giving a gift. This hotel includes all water park tickets when you pay for a room. And the Dells are 2.5 hours away so the gas card will more than cover it. I called and checked and if they go during the week not a peak this will almost pay for two nights. If they want to go on the weekend, it will cover a night. If they want to go in the summer, this will cover park tickets for all of them.

Annie Jones said...

Then I say "go for it"! I'm sure they'll love it!

I was just concerned because of some of the restrictions on some of the resorts in our area.

Sheila said...

I think this is a wonderful thing for you to do. It just shows what a lovely person you really are. I feel so good when I do things for others--I'm sure you are the same way. I say go for it!!
I hope you have a wonderful blogging break. I hope all is well at your house. Take care.