Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Free Car

How to score a free car by SonyaAnn! My guess is you have just figured out my life of crime. I am no longer a mild-mannered(laughable) mom. No, I'm a high rolling criminal!
And I bet no one bought that one! And no, I don't condone stealing a car but I do have a way for you to get one for free. Completely free but it will take a while to get your money back.
I called our insurance agent about how much it would be to add the van to our coverage. HOLY HELL MAN! It was going to take our insurance from $129 a month to $320 a month. And I feel that I should point out that we have been with the same broker since we were serving a life sentence married. His brokerage has been covering the Mott family for three generations. Hmmmm, that's about to change. I really like the woman that runs the office but last time around it took five calls to get a quote. Well four calls and the fifth to say I was going somewhere else. Then I got results but I don't like to be like that. The woman is old and sounds like she is on the verge of tears all the time. Yes, I know but still I do have a heart.
After choking a bit from the quote, she added that when DJ gets his license it will be $414 a month. When I regained my composure, I said that I would inform my husband and get back to her. I usually don't say things like that but they also won't take no for an answer. Unfortunately, I had to pull the man card.
I started shopping around. I tried Geico first. I love the fact that you can get a quote online. But me being in charge of getting a quote means I'm going to mess with it until it is unrecognizable. Yes, I had it so screwed up that I just called them. They pulled up the mess that I had done and deciphered it. In the end, they were going to make me pay for DJ even though he only has a permit. No one else in Illinois does that. It was going to be $235 a month. That was still a savings of $85 a month but I really didn't like her tone. I know its crazy but it was the first time that I had dealt with them and I don't know, she wasn't that friendly. I know that it wasn't about attitude but if I'm going to be giving someone that much money, screw me with a smile. Or it could have been the fact that I had made such a mess of the quote. That's fair too.
I did try to get a quote from AAA but their site said we had an invalid license among us.  Whatever! I think that it was because of DJ's permit. But who knows.
Last was Progressive. I did a pretty good job of only screwing that quote up a little. I was pretty happy with it but I still wanted to make sure that it was right. So I called and they are great. No screwing. In fact, the guy went through and saw more ways to save me money. My frugal heart was in love. He even went on to tell me about what he does to save money and earn extra points on his credit card. I had a frugal boner!
Even though I'm very frugal, I won't skimp on coverage EVER. It's like gambling our future and that is way too much stress for me. So for both cars and the van, it will be $182 a month and before I could even ask, he said that it would be $298 a month when DJ gets his license. That was one of the questions I was going to ask him but he answered it before I could ask. He wanted to make sure that I knew so I could do a budget and wasn't going to be surprised when we added him. He is a beautiful man!
I guess that I will be calling to change insurance companies this week. Pray that they don't put up a fight, I hate confrontation.
And back to the free car! By changing insurance companies, we saved $138 a month. In just under 22 months with Progressive we will have gotten back our money that we paid for the van. I can't think of a better advertisement for them. Save so much money with Progressive that it will pay for your car!
Just a thought,
SonyaAnn

16 comments:

A.Marie said...

YAY for Frugal SonyaAnn! It DOES pay to shop around. I've always wondered about Progressive...I just might have to call them up. I wish I could get the guy that you talked to....he sounds amazing!

I love your beginning sentence, "how to score a free car by SonyaAnn..." That so could be the title of your next book, you know, the one you write from prison.....LOL ;)

SonyaAnn said...

A.Marie-LOL, I bet I would be a stud in prison. And you will probably have to look that one up! Such a sharp wit on you this morning!

Mark said...

Why wouldn't you start with Progressive in the first place? I mean, Flo's in them! And she's great!
But to tell you the truth, I have had the same company for a billion years and I just love them. They have helped us so much that I can't see leaving them right now. Now when my kids are starting to drive, that me be another story. We'll see. m.

Annie Jones said...

I've heard good things about Progressive...you did a good job getting that bill lower!

We have Geico and have had no problems and good, friendly service. I think it probably depends who you talk to.

We left our insurer of 15 or so years. The increases just got to be too much, although we always got good service from them before we switched to Geico.

PS @ Mark: Flo freaks me out a little.

McVal said...

Good for you!!! My son's little fender benders threw our insurance into an uproar... THEN when my 16 year old got her license, it jumped again. Not even her excellent grades could help... darn it.

nicoleandmaggie said...

Great job!

Jill said...

Wow, awesome deal! We've been thinking of shopping around. We may have to check them out!

Have a great day!

blessings
Jill

SonyaAnn said...

Mark-We had our insurance agent forever and we were third generation. But we just couldn't handle it anymore, they were way overcharging. If we had to pay the $320 a month for insurance we couldn't afford the van. It was just stupid.

SonyaAnn said...

Annie-It was getting pretty bad with our insurance agent. They were working 20 hours a week and would never get back to you. I had one call go unanswered for 4 weeks. The writing was on the wall.(It said leave Sonya)

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-It's the kids that makes it nuts! Anna is an extra $30 a month and she doesn't even live here. Kids are great, aren't they?

SonyaAnn said...

nicoleandmaggie-Thank you much!!!

SonyaAnn said...

Jill-Just go online and plug in the numbers, it was almost fun!

Frances said...

You WOULD be a stud in prison, SonyaAnn! Progressive is a pretty good company. We were with them for several years and one day, out of the blue, State Farm called asking if they could quote us a policy. I told them there was no way they could beat what we were paying, but go ahead. I was beyond shocked when they save us a good bit of money. I don't remember how much, but it was enough to get me to switch. We also have our renters insurance with them and they have always worked to keep our premiums low. I love our agent! We only pay $134/month for full coverage on a 2000 Accord, a 2006 CRV and renters' insurance.

When Samantha lived at home and we had her on the policy with liability on a little Sentra, I forget what year, her premium was only $80/month. Our agent is just awesome!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-That is really good. I just can't believe how much we saved. And I can't believe that it only cost you like $80 a year to insure Samantha. You know just having someone care a little makes you want to stay with them.

Frances said...

That was $80 a month, SonyaAnn, but we still didn't complain. That's what it cost when she got her license at 16 and even when she totalled a car, it didn't go up.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-I thought you had a super good deal at $80/yr. I should have known better!!
I just love you!