Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Our Life Without

It's been since September of last year since we have had satellite. I am happy to report that they have not hit me yet. I'm surprised. I tell you what the first few weeks were touch and go but we all survived.
I wish that I could say that I used the money for some worth wild cause but alas we spent it. Well to be a bit more clear, I spent it all. We have been buying Star Trek dvds. We purchased the entire Voyager series. Yay, we are so cool. Not really but I can pretend.
And another odd side effect of not having tv is when I'm around it, it grates on my nerves. BAD. I actually have to have it turned off to concentrate. Which makes me wonder what I was absorbing when it was on in the back ground or worse yet, what were the kids being fed. I also have a new found hatred of commercials. So let me get this straight, I paid someone to pump commercials into my house. Yup.
It is wonderful to pick and choose everything that we watch. We did netflix a long time ago but eventually we ran out of things that we wanted to see. We have a Redbox close and I get the movies that we want from them. Otherwise, we buy what we want. I can't say that we have saved money but we have something tangible for our money and that is a bonus to me.
Thanks for stopping over,
SonyaAnn

10 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I watch about an hour of TV a day, which is usually an episode of a TV series we've rented from Netflix or on that we've recorded on DVR. Once in a while, we'll watch a movie.

Shane doesn't watch much more than me (maybe 2-2/5 hours a day). Kat watches the most, but it's still not the amount that many kids watch, and she's just as happy with a Netflix or Redbox video as she is with what's on cable.

Still can't seem to get them to give up the cable. They THINK they'd be deprived, but I don't think much would change at all.

slugmama said...

How has time for tv when there is the computer and netflix?lol
I have become a netflix 'ho....

Mark said...

Are you kidding me? I love Voyager. It would be my favorite but I have to pledge my loyaty and undying love and body to Jean-Luc on The Next Generation. One day, he will be my boyfriend.
Anyway, we are currently watching all seasons of 30Rock. Can you believe that we have never seen it before? I know. Weird, right? But last night we just finished Season 1. It is so funny.
I'm sorry, I forget now the point of your Post.
Your Friend, m.

SonyaAnn said...

Annie Jones-I really think that life is better without it. But then again, what do I know?
I really thought that there would be this terrible gap in our lives without it. I mean we had it streaming into our homes for years and we haven't missed it. And I just can't take commercials any more.
Thanks for coming to see me!

SonyaAnn said...

slugs-On occasion I will watch tv.com. But I just don't see the need for mindless channel surfing.

SonyaAnn said...

Mark-I too, have a spot in my heart for jean-Luc. Can we share him?
Next on our list is TNG, it is just so expensive though. But since we don't have cable I will justify the purchase in my own little mind.
We have never seen 30 Rock either. Maybe I should add this to our list of things to see.

Beth said...

My cable (which means NO local channels either) has been off for about 2 weeks. It was rough the first week, but now I'm sorta used to it. I'm not going to lie, I do miss some tv shows. But have learned to like www.hulu.com and watching cheap redbox dvd's.

I (finally) have my custody hearing scheduled for tomorrow (Thursday). Please pray for me and Madison.

SonyaAnn said...

Beth-I think/pray for you all the time. It hasn't been an easy road for you.

Donna Freedman said...

I haven't had a TV since I left my marriage seven years ago. These days I *could* get one, or watch stuff online, but I've lost the taste for it.
I'll get some viewing in this summer when I visit my friend in Alaska. When she gets home from work around 10:30 p.m. we sit on the couch eating chocolate and watching stuff like "Dirty Jobs," "Mythbusters" or "Torchwood." It's fun but once I leave I won't watch TV for months at a time.
Nothing against it per se. I've just found other things to do with my time.

SonyaAnn said...

Donna Freedman-I really have lost my taste for it too. Not that I'm getting a hell of a lot more done but oh well, I don't feel as polluted as before.
Have a great week and thank you for coming to see me.