Monday, May 2, 2011

My Stalk!


It's so sad when they grow up and move out. This little experiment worked. It was about a month from start to finish. If I had to do it all over again, I would have put it in the ground after about two weeks but it kept snowing and/or getting stupid cold at night so I put it off. The only problem that I had was some of it started to rot where the sticks were but I think that could be avoided if it were put in the ground right after the roots started. So just save the end of your celery and you can get free stalks!
I scraped/cut off all the rotting or dead parts when I planted it. It seems like the only part that actually grows is the very center. So I might just strip everything away and just leave the very middle if I try this again.
I also, took the sticks out before I planted it. I didn't want the other vegetables to pick on him. Vegetables can be so cruel. 
Smile,
SonyaAnn

14 comments:

Jane said...

He looks nice and healthy and he has a head start on the other veggies so hopefully he won't get bullied as we know he has a sensitive heart :)

Annie Jones said...

Looks good! I want to try it, but celery is one of the few veg that we don't eat much.

McVal said...

Congrats on your stalker! I mean stalk of celery! We don't eat much celery around here either, but I do like to put it in stir fry or just munch with it and peanut butter. ymmm.....

slugmama said...

So if I prune off the rotted parts and plant my kids in the ground they will move out? ;-)

Jill said...

Congrats on your celery growing! Looks good! Have you started a garden also yet this year?

Mark said...

True, Veggies can be cruel. But at least he won't be called a Fruit. I still have nightmares of High School.
Good Job, S.A.!

m.

SonyaAnn said...

Jane-LOL I just can't help but worry!
Thank you for coming to see me!

SonyaAnn said...

Annie-With all the veg you have going, leaving out celery won't be a crime!

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-Looks like you are making yourself hungry! I love my stalk so much that we may not be allowed to eat it. That sounds about right!

SonyaAnn said...

sluggy-Glad to see that you are up and running! I feel god awful today! I may have to go to the doctor. yuck!

SonyaAnn said...

Jill-I haven't started anything yet. I think that I'm going to keep it small. Just the little bit out the back door, I'm just too sick again. But the good news is a lot of stuff is coming up on its own!

SonyaAnn said...

Mark-YOU ARE TERRIBLE! I had to laugh and then felt bad! Stop it!

Frances said...

I hope it grows up big and strong!

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-I have no life!