Monday, June 20, 2011

When Karma Catches Your Ass


I am not a zen master but on occasion the universe will give the average person clues, when that happens you should listen. Me, on the other hand, not so much. If you have been warned and don't listen-suffer stupid ass. I am stupid ass.
 DJ is going to England in a few short weeks. I am very glad for him but also very worried. It's my job as mom. So here was my train of thought-I will miss him but it will be a nice break-I hope that he bathes and brushes his teeth-I hope that he uses his best manners-I hope that he doesn't get sick-I hope that he doesn't have an allergic reaction(because I'm sure no one in England has ever had to treat this before)-OH GOD and now I have to worry even more.
And, as you all know, I fancy myself a witch doctor of sorts and decided to experiment on him before he left.  Our PCP said that Claritin should prevent all reactions. SHOULD. I kept that little bit of information in the back of my head for some time now. I know what you are thinking, I should have been giving him these pills for years. Getting him to bathe is a horrendous fight, taking pills every day would be impossible. I did try for a while but then he worried about the side effects. Yes, his self preservation reflex is in tact. He is basically an 80 year old man and has been like this since he was 3. He also, only has a reaction every few years and I have been able to get all but 2 under control, which is amazing. Refer back to the witch doctor.
So to be fair to the English folk, I loaded the boy up on Claritin and handed him a red Popsicle. He fought me at first but then gave in because I wouldn't leave him alone. After he ate most of it, it sunk in about what I had just done. He had eaten enough to about kill him and then I started to have second thoughts. I then decided that it would be a good idea to give him Benadryl. I lost my nerve. He on the other hand, was so pissed at me that he actually said to his loving mother, "Hell no! We are in this now!" The nerve!
It was an awful few hours but nothing happened. I was so relieved. Not only because I didn't force feed him death but because he would be safe in England. He even seemed happy. I'm not sure if it was because he lived or because we finally had something to prevent it.
Right about now you are thinking what does this have to do with Karma. Exactly! Fast forward a few days, he had a terrible reaction for no apparent reason. It was a really bad one. We were lucky that I got it under control as fast as I did and he didn't puke out his nose. Karma just isn't going to let me get away with poisoning him without a reaction even if it is very delayed. So now he is taking Claritin everyday, he even decided that it was a good idea.
Smile that this isn't your life,
SonyaAnn

14 comments:

slugmama said...

Ok....I am ever so confused right now.
Is DJ allergic to red popsicles?? Or is it the red dye or what?

The only things you need to worry about him being allergic to in England are 1-rain, 2-baked beans and tomatoes(as that's the typical English breakfast)and 3-driving on the left side of the road. #1 son's friend who works at camp(and spent a week here last summer)are my sources of info here.
Besides, they do have hospitals there and it he needs one you won't get a bill. 8-)

Mark said...

Wait! Is DJ 11? I'm confused. Because I have to fight my 11 year old to take a shower. Don't tell me I'll be fighting him for several more years after this. I'm so tired as it is.
yes, Karma will get you just when you least expect it.
m.

SonyaAnn said...

slugs-DJ is allergic to red dye. So yes on the Popsicle.
He is getting excited and the boy that he is going with is in the pool with his sister(bek) and Anna.
Are you sure that he wouldn't get a bill if he isn't a citizen? If that is the case, I'm off to England to see what is wrong with me. Don't comment on that!

SonyaAnn said...

Mark-You poor man, it doesn't end. And don't forget the fun fight when it comes to brushing his teeth. I've got no advice for you either.

Jane said...

Oh Lordy SonyaAnn - what a journey you are on! My daughter had two reactions over the years - hives, laboured breathing etc (yes, we used Benedryl)and we never really figured out what it was caused by. We THINK it was a hot/cold thing as both times she had been Highland dancing (getting really hot) then really cold. Isn't that just the weirdest?

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

You are a mom.... you are going to worry no matter what. Just think he will probably share this story for years telling everyone he knows about how you "tried to poison him".

slugmama said...

SonyaAnn--Yep, medical care is free for all, even visitors in those socialized medicine countries. The down side is DJ would prolly go into anaphalactic shock before he gets seen by a doctor.....er, maybe I shouldn't have said that, huh?lol

Tell DJ to check out the strange varieties and flavors of potato chips(aka crisps in the UK)while he is there. Stuff like Lemon, Roasted Chicken, Prawn Cocktail, Pickled Onion, etc.....Mmmmmm, right?lol

No comment to the you going to England remark....LOLOL

Donna Freedman said...

Sonya, he's going to ENGLAND -- it doesn't MATTER if he doesn't brush his teeth.
Not that I wish to generalize.

Donna Freedman said...

Sonya, he's going to ENGLAND -- it doesn't MATTER if he doesn't brush his teeth.
Not that I wish to generalize.

SonyaAnn said...

Jane-It is the worst when you don't know what set them off. I'm just grateful that he doesn't have a peanut allergy. Those poor kids only have seconds. DJ is tough he can last a few hours.

SonyaAnn said...

Christina - Rant Rave Roll-My poor kids could write a book on all the terrible things that I have done. Just call me mommy dearest.

SonyaAnn said...

sluggy-I've heard that. I just hope that he will listen to me and take his pills everyday. Or he will suffer and be on his own. I could probably nag him from across the pond though.
And I'm sure he will be checking out the crisps and the ale.

SonyaAnn said...

Donna-Laughing, you are a bad girl.

SonyaAnn said...

Donna-Twice the blog love!