Monday, September 12, 2011

Farmer Sonya

I'm always up for an adventure, well in the bedroom(like so many of you) anyways. As I have stated in the past, I have had some plant problems. I was excited though when Den found an actual ear of corn. It looked normal though it was a bit small.
I even told him about D.Lynn's comment about the nuclear power plant. We were having friends over for dinner and grilling corn so Den threw "my" corn on too. So when our friends came over I told them about "my" corn. We all had a good laugh.

Hmmmm, after it was grilled and shucked, the poor thing just didn't look right. And it was decided that I should eat "my" corn. Well, how the hell did this happen? I was more than willing to share. So everyone sat there and watched as I ate my power plant corn. I can honestly say that I had never felt such trepidation over food in my life. I actually had to pause and psych myself up to eat it.  Scary!
In the end, I ate it as if nothing was wrong just to defend my corn growing skills. Everyone got a good laugh and then went back to eating. I was left with a problem. It tasted like corn which shocked the hell out of me. What I didn't expect was that it was nothing like the consistency of corn that I have come to know and love over the years. I can say that I was never a paste eater in school, EVER. But if I were to start eating paste, it would be exactly like my corn. As inconspicuous as I could, I had to use my lip to try and "wipe" the corn paste from my teeth.
Have you ever had this problem,
SonyaAnn

16 comments:

A.Marie said...

Not only were you eating nuclear power plant corn, but you were eating too-ripe nuclear power plant corn. Ooohh...yummy!!! ;)

Annie Jones said...

Bet it was kinda like eating a spoonful of cornstarch. Ugh.

Mark Himes said...

You poor old girl. Such a shame. I feel for you and your sad looking corn.
m.

Sheila said...

Wow, what a good sport you are to eat it...I would have wimped out & passed...

SonyaAnn said...

A.Marie-Is that what was wrong with it? I've never had anything like it is all I can say!

SonyaAnn said...

Annie-I think corn starch would have been better and not as scary.

SonyaAnn said...

Mark-I never will be a farmer. It really is sad.

SonyaAnn said...

Sheila-I was, honest to God, worried about my innerds after eating it.

slugmama said...

What a "special" little ear of corn.
It looks like field corn....the unappetizing stuff they grow to feed to livestock, not people eating corn.

Farming is not your calling, but you know that already.lol

Corn is sort of hard to grow as a hobby gardenist anyway. You need a lot of garden space for it and have to plant 2 or more varieties for it to pollinate correctly I think?
So don't judge your gardening results by just this corn.
You need to try something that is hard to kill off....like zucchini!

DeeDee said...

hey there farmer sonya!! at least you have a garden :)
btw - i changed my terror in the kitchen blog to http://craftylittleninja.blogspot.com/
come follow me again. since my life is calmed down, ill be posting more :)

D.Lynn said...

So I had to wait for the tears of laughter to pass before commenting..(wipe, wipe - ok, I'm good... snicker - no wait...LMAO!!)Seriously, I'm back...
You were a brave soul Sonya...My poem to you for today:

In order to save face
I had to eat paste
And while it sorta looked like corn
It left me so forlorn

Takes bow - you can rap to it if you'd like but I didn't know how to effectively use the spitting sounds...

SonyaAnn said...

sluggy-I try zucchini that didn't work out well either. It died off very quickly. I also tried cucumbers to no avail. My tomato plants grew but aren't really producing tomatoes. So I guess that I would call that a waste. But I can grow chives with the best of them. Maybe I should take up sewing!

SonyaAnn said...

DeeDee-I tried to post on your blog and it wouldn't let me. I was so sad. When I tried to do the word verification the advertisement was in the way. Fix it so I can comment on your life or maybe you shouldn't!

SonyaAnn said...

D.Lynn-No one understands how hurt I was by my lack of growing abilities. I've tried for YEARS to grow something, anything and I can't. I've got chives and basil and green onions. And I'm pretty sure that those are just weeds.
And thank you for the poem, if I die from my crops see to it that that is on my tombstone!

D.Lynn said...

Seriously though... If you wanted to give it another try next year, I would bring in some well aged compost, regardless of how big or little your garden space is. Soil is king when it comes to gardening. And yes, I know, gardening IS a labor of love and when the things you've nurtured for months start rebelling, it's frustrating. If it makes you feel any better, we had this 5 "fingered" carrot a couple of years ago that I wasn't sure if it was a vegetable or a sex toy! And yes, we live about 1/2 mile from a road called Missile Site Rd. Hmmmm...

SonyaAnn said...

D.Lynn-You could sell your carrots for a huge profit!LOL
I need to do something and maybe it should be just herbs. Not the smoking kind but more basil and such. I'm just glad that the season is almost over.