Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Wood


As you can tell from the terrible picture, I didn't get a camera for Christmas. Maybe I should ask for one if I want to get one. Just a random thought.
This is what your chairs look like when you have a teenage boy in the house. He has broken three of the four kitchen chairs. He seems to think that they are recliners. Den wanted to beat him with one of the legs. I stopped him but had to pause for a bit to really think it through.
The good news is Den is really good with wood and fix it. He is just getting tired of fixing the crap that he breaks. But we did come to the conclusions that we aren't replacing crap in this house until the kids are gone, there just isn't any reason anymore. We can't keep up with it. It is kind of freeing in a way. Only two and a half years until our little lumber jack leaves. How did I get this old? Oh and thank God there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Love him to death but he is lippy and wrecking our house. And when you bring it up to him, he isn't pleasant about it. TEENAGERS!
And if you look really closely at the terribly blurry picture, you will see a round circle on the top of the table. Ms. Anna put a red hot frying pan on the table years ago. That poor table. It was the first piece of furniture that Den and I bought together. I still love it but it has seen better days. It needs to be completely redone and it will be in 2.5 years or it will be kindling, we shall see.
Have a great day,
SonyaAnn

12 comments:

D.Lynn said...

Ahhh yes... It's amazing how destructive those little buggers can be. It takes a while to recover and look at something you want to buy without thinking about it's durability. You're getting there - focus on the light :)

Annie said...

Did I ever tell you I had chairs just like that once? The table was a little different, though.

Now we upholstered kitchen chairs with casters. They have 4 wheels instead of 5, which means they turn over and dump us in the floor every chance they get.

Stick with wood...it's safer.

SonyaAnn said...

D.Lynn-He's trashing the house. He's a good kid and gets good grades but......................

SonyaAnn said...

Annie-We are all going to be standing for our meals if that boy keeps going. Grrrrrr.
Den was talking about getting new furniture the other day and I told him to forget it. He looked shocked and then I added that there is no reason to try and have nice things with the boy here.

McVal said...

LOL! My son sat on our diningroom table on New Years and broke a leg on it. It's been propped up with an encyclopedia and a Battlefield Earth book since. Yesterday I flipped the table over and fixed it finally. Crummy kids anyway. Can't have ANYTHING nice around here.
Oh and you've been tagged!

Sheila said...

Maybe you should stop feeding him?

SonyaAnn said...

McVal-I'm not even going to try to have nice things until the brat leaves. His plan is to stay forever, Den said he is going to charge him rent. I say make him pay for everything that he breaks.

SonyaAnn said...

Sheila-I might get in trouble for that one but I'm not sure. I'll check into it and get back to you.

Jane said...

Yup, with ya on this one! I have to totally redecorate in order to sell this place when we're ready to move to PEI but I'm not painting or replacing so much as a doorknob til her royal messiness has departed. I have hair straightener burns on the bathroom counter, hair dye stains on the bathroom wall, who knows what stains on the carpets...the list is endless!

Frances said...

SonyaAnn, Den needs to stop fixing things The Boy breaks. You all need to make The Boy fix them.

Here's what we did. Kid breaks something. We stood over kid instructing said kid on how to fix it. Nagging the entire time. Kid not allowed to do anything else until it was fixed.

We only had to do this a few times. Kids are slow to learn sometimes, but they learn.

(Evil cackling laugh as she hits publish button.)

SonyaAnn said...

Jane-This is the most terrible thing that I have ever put on this blog but I'm a bit burned out on the whole mom thing. I'm tired of everything being dirty, messed up and/or broken. There I said it.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-I love your parenting tricks. Evil but effective! You just have no idea how scary it would be to have him fix something. I'm pretty sure someone would die!
(laughing at your evil cackling laugh as I hit publish.)