Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A New Addition

 Aren't you glad that I didn't say that I was pregnant? I am! We are adding a new stove, frig, microwave, and dishwasher to the family. I have the odd feeling that Den will like the stainless steel appliances more than the kids. I would put money on it.
Our oven quit, the frig and freezer shelf doors are being held on by duct tape. Did you know that duct tape does not work so well when it is frozen? I know this because it has been replaced by moi many, many times over 17 years. I've nursed these babies for all I could get out of them!  Also the frig is normally very watery. I know, odd statement but no matter how many nobs I turn-it's always wet in there. Kind of like its been raining. The water was turned off to the ice maker about 8 years ago so I know that something is actually wrong with it. I bet you have never had things rust in your frig. It's a gift really.
So we did something that we never do and financed the entire shiny mess! It about killed me. You may find my ass in the corner, in the fetal position sucking my thumb and clutching the checkbook.
We bought from HHGregg. They are new to this area so they are way cheaper than anything that I could find. There was a 10% off special and I got another 10% off for signing up for their rewards card. Good thing I did my homework. We ended up paying $2300 for all with delivery. We also got 12 months free financing(Its 29.99% normally-they have to be crazy! Who pays that?). We will also be getting $470 back in the form of a visa card. I think that I just finished funding Christmas.  
I hate owing anything but it needed to be done. Den pulled the oven apart a year ago. He was complaining then that we needed to replace everything because it was all so old. I hope that we get 17 years out of these appliances. The frig is 17 years old, the microwave is 17 years old, the dishwasher 12 years old and the stove is about 14 years old. I think that we went past the point of now return with some of these appliances about 10 years ago.
I'm hoping to make our money back on the electricity that we save since everything will now be energy efficient. I doubt it but a girl can dream. Or maybe we will win it all back in Vegas. Again with the dreaming!
Have a great day,
SonyaAnn


20 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Knowing how careful you are with your budget these days, I'll bet you WILL see a difference in your utility bills. Not huge, mind you, but a difference. Track it for a year, and see what you save in that time.

Congrats on the whole shiny new lot! It'll give your kitchen a face lift, and you'll be so happy. :)

D.Lynn said...

Oooohhh Shiney! :) Some things are worth their weight in gold and appliances are one of those. Peace of mind is priceless. Enjoy!

Mamma has spoken said...

OH new appliances are awesome and to get ALL new kitchen appliances are beyond words! Good luck with keeping them clean however. My son had stainless and I could never get them to look showroom floor clean :o(

SonyaAnn said...

ChiTown Girl-I'm hoping that it will help with the bills but I doubt it. And trust me I will will looking!

SonyaAnn said...

D.Lynn-Since I have never had all new appliances in my life and I'm 40 this is huge to me!

SonyaAnn said...

Mamma has spoken-The guy told me to use WD40 on them. I hope it works.
This is my first complete set of appliances ever. I'm overjoyed!

Mark said...

Way better than pregnancy! Or so I hear.
Anyway, you'll need to show us the real photos then.
m.

SonyaAnn said...

Mark-I'm more than willing to take a crappy picture for you.

D.Lynn said...

They have cleaning wipes for stainless steel appliances and I highly recommend using them, ( or a spray specifically for them) as you don't want to mess us the finish. I haven't heard about the WD-40 but google could confirm or deny :)

Jane said...

Happy for you! I just financed a fridge and stove for my PEI home though hope to pay it off next month. I didn't want to do it that way either but I do enjoy the points I get. You'll have them paid off within the year, I just know it!

Frances said...

Way cheaper than getting pregnant!

Congrats on the new appliances. I know you....you won't pay interest.

SonyaAnn said...

D.Lynn-I was hoping to find a cheap way to clean the appliances. But I think that I will break down and pay extra for the stainless steel wipes.

SonyaAnn said...

Jane-I think that I will have it paid off too. It is making me a bit nuts thinking about having an extra bill. Which is funny because 10 years ago I would have thought nothing about it. Scary.

SonyaAnn said...

Frances-Not as painful either-even with getting the bill.

slugmama said...

Wow....ok, I picked myself off the floor now so I'll say good for you lady!
Have fun polishing those suckers and keeping the family from putting their hands on the finish!lol
I detest stainless....ok, let me rephrase that.....I LOVE stainless is somebody else's house but I DETEST it in mine! I had a stove and dishwasher in stainless and I'll never go that route again. The stove was the demon possessed defective one that the glass top cracked for no reason, so it had bigger problems than keeping it shiny. But the dishwasher!.....oy vey!....the sheet of metal they used for the front of it was low grade and it rusted! Have you ever heard of stainless steel rusting?lol Well mine did.
Google alternative cheap cleaners because you'll go broke buying crap to keep it shiny. If I go shiny metal next time, I'm thinking about diamond plate.lol Hey! that's an idea because diamond plate might get a guy to use the kitchen more....hehehe

slugmama said...

And about the money.....lots of people pay 29.99% interest everyday for buying crap on time through a private store credit card and NOT paying it off right away or within the NO INTEREST time period.
But you know that. 8-)
Just make sure you budget to pay these pretty babies off before the evil interest kicks in so that you $407 bonus to finish the Xmas list doesn't end up costing you alot more in the end.
But I KNOW you can do it!! Break it down and it's $192 a month to get paid in 12 months. Start saving those Toluna checks toward it too. ;-)
Shall I kick your butt monthly and remind you to be paying it off? and I won't charge anything for my service. Job satisfaction is enough for me....lol

Annie said...

How wonderful. I'm a traditional white appliance kind of woman myself, but do let us know if you do or don't like the stainless.

As for things rusting in the fridge, that hasn't happened to me, but I used to clean house for a bachelor friend of ours and I had to dust the inside of his fridge. He didn't do a lot of cooking, that one.

SonyaAnn said...

sluggy-I found a $2 cleaner that is working well. It's by comet.
Every time that I look at my new appliances all I can think about is the $ and then the finger prints. LOL

SonyaAnn said...

sluggy-If you want to remind me to pay the bill feel free but I'm already itching to throw money at it. I just have to finish paying the Vegas trip off. My priorities are all screwed up as of late. It's like I'm reverting from cheap ways. Maybe you should pray or something. How do you save someone that is being irresponsible with money?

SonyaAnn said...

Annie-I have never heard of anyone having to dust in a frig. If it was collecting dust, I bet that the food wasn't so good in there.