Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Easiest, Sneeziest Homemade Laundry Soap

The kids and I made an Ivory soap cloud the other night. Yes, this works. I saw it on Pinterest and decided to microwave a bar of soap for 2 minutes. I made them promise before we tried it that if it fried out the new microwave that they would act as surprised as me when Den tried to cook something and it wouldn't work. We agreed that we would blame him. Lucky for Den, it did not fry and/or damage the microwave in any way, shape, or form.
After we made the soap cloud, I really didn't know what to do with it. You know me I can't waste anything. So I stuffed it into a container and gave it a shake. Voila, soap dust. I then added a cheap container of Oxy-clean. I got it at the dollar store for, you guessed it, $1. I figure that this cost about $1.33 for quite a bit of laundry detergent. I have been using the little scooper that came with the Oxi-clean to measure it out. The only problem that I have with it is-it is dusty and makes you sneeze. HOLD YOUR BREATH and all is fine. Ann that's all I got for ya,
SonyaAnn

14 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Never heard of a soap cloud. It would probably be the last straw for our microwave. We use laundry liquid so the tip wouldn't work for us, although it would save on those expensive soap flakes you have to buy to hand wash wool.

So tell me, first, does it do anything to the microwave?

Annie said...

What's a soap cloud?

Mamma has spoken said...

But how well did it work as a laundry soap since it's Ivory soap? Haven't had good experiences with that brand...

McVal said...

Wow! I need to try this! Don't try to microwave Dial... It just doesn't melt down at all.
Is the Oxyclean powder?
And how much is one scoop?

slugmama said...

Ok Lady.....why is there no comment button on yesterday's post?
Hmmm??
I bet you did that on purpose so I couldn't leave a snarky comment about the "OOPS", didn't you?lol

Thanks for giving me a good laugh tho....I sure needed it.
Remind me I laughed with you the next time I make a big boo-boo, ok? ;-)

I still love ya....

Sonya Ann said...

Jenny Woolf-It really didn't do anything to the microwave and it was fun to watch! Just make sure that you use Ivory soap.

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-Put a bar of Ivory soap in the microwave for a minute or two and it turns into a cloud. Craziest thing ever! Just stop the microwave when it stops growing.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma has spoken-It is working well for use. DJ has allergies and this is a much cheaper alternative to the sensitive laundry soap.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Good to know about the Dial. Oxi-clean is a white powder, I get the knock-off brand from the dollar store. And I just use the scooper that is in the container and I use 1 scoop.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I have no idea why it didn't show up! Maybe someone was looking out for me! LOL
Laugh away! I'm a joke.lol

Jane said...

You know, I learn the craziest things when I read your posts! What is the purpose of a soap cloud?? I've thought about making my own detergent once or twice but so far haven't tried it. I don't know how well it would go over in my household - they're all a little strange.

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-A soap cloud is just something cool to watch take shape. An experiment of sorts for kids. There just isn't anything to do with it after you are done with it.

Frances said...

So are you going to microwave some Peeps next?

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-DJ is begging me to do that. It is still a no!