Thursday, September 6, 2012

Doomsday Budget

Ok so I have been thinking about an article that I read a little while ago. It is called, "Majority of New Jobs Pay Low Wages, Study Finds." Riveting title, right? Well it did suck me in so I guess I should shut up about it.
Summed up(and I'm a sucky sum-it-upper), some of the good paying jobs that were lost have been replaced with crappy-minimum wage jobs. Yeah, that sounds about right.
It also went into how there will only be very good paying jobs and sucky paying jobs. Again, that sounds about right.
So what if this is an inevitability for all of us? I know I sound like an "End of the world" sort of person but just play along. How do we prepare for this? What do we do as individuals to live and thrive on minimum wage? What if we have a year to prepare? Five years? ten years?
I have talked about the unemployment budget before but what about a doomsday budget. Hmmmm, I need another plan.
Just a question,
Sonya-I like to worry-Ann


10 comments:

PAPS said...

Recessions are tough on everybody specially when you lose a good paying job for a crappy one.
www.thoughtsofpaps.com

Sonya Ann said...

PAPS-Thank you so much for coming to see me!
And yup this all sucks!

Annie said...

To be honest, I just can't go there. I'm all for having an unemployment budget and having a well stocked larder, but I refuse to entertain doomsday thoughts. Shane is in the building trade and -- so far -- we're still seeing new buildings going up everywhere. I'm not foolish enough to think or say he can't or won't ever lose his job, but until I have a real reason to worry, worrying is energy better spent on something productive.

Signed,
Annie, whose head is stuck halfway in the sand

A.Marie said...

Hey there!

Gotta tell ya....I went and revisited your 2009 Unemployment Budget because that is what I am working on...for real....

Hubby is unemployed...again. This is getting real old, real fast. The max he gets, per week, is $480. Yep, we are living high on the hog with that amount.

:(

Mamma has spoken said...

Hubby has been unemployed for over a year and there is no signs of employment any time soon. I tell him thank goodness we have a nice savings because he's only getting $394 a week of unemployment and that will be ending soon. We can and have been making it on just my pay check but it sucks. It really REALLY sucks.....

Frances said...

I just let the Lord do my worrying. Much less stressful that way.

Sonya Ann said...

Dear Whose head is stuck in the ground,
I just like to be prepared. I guess I don't see it as being a doomsday sort of gal just something new to think about. I like to crunch numbers. The thing is I couldn't get the numbers to work on living on minimum wage. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

A.Marie-First let me say, I'm so sorry for you and your family. I'll say a prayer or two for you.
If it were me, I would cut out everything. Well after I had a small nervous breakdown. Everything would be up for the chopping block. Good luck.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma has spoken-I can't imagine how hard it must be but I'm so impressed that you can make it on what you are making. You are an impressive budgeter.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-The best plan yet!