Monday, September 10, 2012

TaDa

 Can you see the difference? I bet you can't. We painted the downstairs rec room. It is still in need of new couches and pillows. We will get them just as soon as we get a new kitchen table. Ha! It has become the running joke-the table that is. We are never going to buy one just everything else around it. Whatever, I'm just happy that everything is getting painted.
If I just think about updating/fixing/redoing one thing at a time, it isn't so overwhelming. It seems possible. I have also figured out that we should bring things into the house that make us happy, not what the latest magazine says. That revelation has helped a ton.
 To save money on paint, Den mixed the blue/green for the bathroom. Note to self and everyone else, if you mix your own paint-for some reason it will seem almost white until it dries on the walls. Mix it and then let a test spot dry and see if you need to add more paint. The good news is it only cost about $4 for the blue and the green tester.
I got that white cabinet for above the toilet for $40 from Goodwill and it was still in the box. The bathroom didn't have any storage so this was a wonderful find.
The blue/green vase thingy on top was a free gift for checking out a new furniture store a while ago. The clear vase is from Dollar tree and so are the things(not sure what they are really) in the vase. So $2 for that and last but not least.....................
My $1 brass fish that I got from a garage sale. I love it, Den not so much. On another note, the bathroom looks like it is two different colors in the two pictures. Not so-Den's mixing skills are second to none. I think it had something to do with the person taking the picture.
The bad news is we spent another $50 on paint and supplies. I really thought that we had enough to do the entire project. Nope.
Now all that is left is my bedroom and the upstairs bathroom.
Thanks for coming to see me,
Sonya Ann

18 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

I too love how a fresh coat of paint makes a room seem so much cleaner and better. Too bad I've been putting off my painting projects.....

Mark said...

Hey, I'm back just in time to see your painting project done. Congratulations!!! The paint job looks great but I forget what it looked like before.
My living and dining room are done too but for some odd reason, I can't work up the strength to put the paint cans away. Maybe next year.
Way to go!
m.

Annie said...

It all looks great! That rec room is just too cute.

I'm pretty happy with the way things look around here, finally. I'm hoping to wait 2-3 more years before we have to start painting again.

PAPS said...

Such good buys and it is always nice when you do up something. Thanks for following me. Following back.
www.thoughtsofpaps.com

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma has spoken-Just do one small thing and then it seems to snowball. Yuck snow. Why did I bring that up?

Sonya Ann said...

Marrk-I am so sure that your house is perfect.I can't wait to see it.
I searched for half an hour trying to find the old pictures of the house. I know that I posted them before. Oh well. But the rec room is exactly the same as before just minus all the finger prints and scrape marks thanks to DJ.

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-Thank you so much for the compliment. The north woods theme is kind of done to death here but I have always loved it since I was little. It seems that I fall in love with things that are out of style, oh well.
We are nearing the end of our painting but I am sure that we can find other things to do-like dry walling the laundry room. I'll wait for a while to tell Den about that one.

Sonya Ann said...

PAPS-Life just seems better when the house has been painted!

McVal said...

LOVE it! Invite me over for a movie night sometime! Your living room looks so much more cozy than mine... And cleaner.

Jenny Woolf said...

It's so nice to see the place getting brighter and cleaner. Not that I have much recent experience of that feeling.... definitely getting round to paintbrush time here again.

Sheila said...

I'm inspired to hit Lowe's for some paint! So fresh and new. Thanks for sharing.

Frances said...

I think it all looks great! You done good!

ChiTown Girl said...

The rec room looks great! I love that you guys mixed your own paint. AND, that you're happy with the results. I have a cabinet almost exactly like that in my bathroom (also with NO storage) and it makes all the difference in the world. Love the FREE vase! So pretty!

I've been "thinking" about doing my bedroom for almost 3 years now, and you may just have inspired me to get my butt in gear!

Sonya Ann said...

Jenny Woolf-Life just seems brighter with the walls painted but that could be the glare too. We painted with semi-gloss.
I can't wait to do the bedroom and the bath upstairs.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-You are welcome to come sit on those nasty couches anytime you want. They are next on the list of things to be replaced. No wait, the kitchen table is the next thing. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

Sheila-Just don't curse me when you are actually painting. I hate painting, hate it!

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Awww, thank you!

Sonya Ann said...

ChiTown Girl-Really what are the odds that the paint color would work out. I would have bet against us. I figured that we would be painting it a few times.
If you do redo the bedroom, I hope you share the pictures.