Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Conversation With a Teenage Boy

Shrug and grunt, that is about the extent of my conversations with the boy these days. I know that he still loves me but sometimes the only way he shows it is to fart or pretend like he is going to punch me in the arm. I'll take what I can get.
I was sitting on the bed typing away on my computer and the boy flopped down next to me. Nothing was said. It's just his way. If it had been Anna when she was almost 17, her mouth would have been complaining non-stop about someone.
So I decide to start a conversation...................................
Me-"DJ?"
DJ-Grunt(I took it for "what.")
Me-"Who do you love more, me or dad?"
DJ-Grunt(I took it as, "I'm not walking into this trap.")
Me-"Who do you love more, me or Grandma?"
DJ-Now he starts to laugh. "Well Grandma, who doesn't love her most?"
Me-Now I'm laughing(everyone loves my Mother in Law the most. She is the kindest soul I have ever met. And to be honest, I like her more than DJ)"Who do you love more, Dad or Papa?"
DJ-really laughing. "I don't like either, they pick on me!"
Me-Laughing because they really do tease him. "So you love Grandma the most out of everyone?"
DJ-Still laughing. "No, I love me the most, then Grandma."
Ahhhhh, life with a teenage boy. And by the way, that conversation was mostly sarcasm. I'm ok with him loving his Grandmother the most too. We are all lucky to have her. If you met her, she would be your favorite too.
Second fiddle,
Sonya Ann

14 comments:

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I'm also second fiddle. I wasn't even invited to my daughter's gall bladder removal party at the hospital.

Oh, wait...maybe that means I AM her favorite.

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-How is she doing?
She probably didn't want you to worry is all.

slugmama said...

I can't believe your conversation went on THAT LONG!
I can't even get my boy to stand in the same room with me most days.....

He must love you very very much!

And heck ya!....even I love your MIL and I've never met her. What's not to love?? ;-)

McVal said...

I want your mother in law... I'll trade you!
I would LOVE a conversation like that with my boy... Now that he has a job, our conversations ARE actually longer than, "Yes I bought taco fixings..."

Mamma has spoken said...

I'll trade MIL with you too. Mine is a real Bit..........

Hawaii Planner said...

My MIL doesn't speak English. I win!! :-)

Jenny Woolf said...

Ah great to have a really good grandma! When she was 3 my younger daughter wanted our neighbour to be her mother and me to be her aunt. The neighbour fried delicious greasy donuts, I just provided salads. I didn't mind- in fact, I think I've been a great aunt to her all these years.

Frances said...

Hold that conversation close to your heart. He spoke. That IS hard to get a teen boy to do.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Everyone loves Donna. She is awesome!
That was a long conversation for a teenage boy. Usually he just farts a reply to my questions.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Hahaha-"Yes I bought taco fixings..."
Sorry, I won't give up my MIL. How about we ship your MIL and my mother off? Somewhere far away and very dangerous.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma has spoken-Your MIL can go with my mother and McVal's MIL to a dangerous place!

Sonya Ann said...

Hawaii Planner-BAHAHAHA! Yes you are the winner!

Sonya Ann said...

Jenny Woolf-Children are just great, aren't they.
When Anna was little she told me she was going to let her children do anything that they wanted. She wasn't going to be strict like me. My response-I'll call the cops on you for letting your kids run wild and then take your little brats and try and fix them.
We still laugh about that one.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-You are on a roll! Yes, I will treasure that one.
Yesterday, he even told me about how a kid misspoke in Spanish class and said shit by accident. The teacher, DJ and a few of the kids that knew the swear words were laughing. Of course, my kid would be the one to know the cuss words.
He must really like me, he has spoken to me a few days in a row.