Monday, November 5, 2012

My Stache

I've been buying little junky jewelery for Anna lately(I'm probably giving her lead poisoning). Every so often one of these pops up for $1 with free shipping on Amazon. It makes her happy to get a little something. She gets really excited when she comes home and there is a little pile of things I have collected for her. I miss her.
I did find an awesome wool sweater from Ireland at a garage sale for $2 for her. She loved it. She appreciates everything a lot more these days. I never thought that we would make it to "these days."
And that brings me back to my household stash. I used it up. I never thought that I would ever say that. Wow, has the price of things gone up. I was out of toothpaste, paper towels, shampoo, conditioner, hair color and TP. It was ugly.
I replenished everything but I spent $219.54 in one week on groceries and supplies.  That about killed me! I did buy some Nexxus conditioner for Anna and I. It was on sale at CVS and we never get it. EVER. Our total would have been less but my hair feels like....well....hair again.
I have my budgeting system in place so it is a no brainer when it comes to paying bills. And the nice thing is I have $100 a week for gas and $100 a week for food. If I go over in one category, I just snag a little from the other. It gives me a little leeway.
But I'm starting to think that I will have to increase our weekly budget for food/household supplies. Everything is getting a bit more expensive.
I am also slacking on our one and only bill(except the mortgage). I still have not paid off the HHGregg account. We charged $2400 for our new and much needed kitchen appliances. It is down to  $1100. I have paid down $1300 in 5 months. I had hoped to have it paid off by the end of the year. It ain't gunna happen. But I will have it paid off before the finance charges kick in. I would flog myself before I paid interest on a credit card!
I'm just tattling on me left and right today. The good thing is we have the money to pay our bills and splurge once in a while. I just find it a bit upsetting when our simple standard of living costs more. I find the increases aggravating. But I guess I'm not the only one!
Have a cheap day,
Sonya Ann

18 comments:

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

The cost of things like groceries, pet food, bath tissue, etc., doesn't bother me much.

The things I absolutely hate to buy are maintenance/reapair items for home and vehicles, batteries for anything from toy cars to real cars, tools for the garden (I like having a garden, but not buying things for it), tools for Shane's work (he should have them ALL by now), school photos (way overpriced) and anything electronics related.

Having to buying any of these things just pisses me off!

slugmama said...

"And that brings me back to my household stash. I used it up. I never thought that I would ever say that. Wow, has the price of things gone up. I was out of toothpaste, paper towels, shampoo, conditioner, hair color and TP. It was ugly."

Ooooo! I am feeling woozy.....
Using up a stash....that's just crazy talk!
I think I need to lie down before I read any more blogs.

Out My window said...

I used up all my flour! I mean that has never happened. I can grind some but it would be 100% WW too much gluten to make it workable. So off to the store. I need to wait for baking sales and stock up.

Hawaii Planner said...

I haven't stockpiled in a couple of years, & am still making my way through most of my stash. I stopped because I was never good at it, & it always cost me more than I expected.

We have run out of a few things (shaving cream, etc) & things are much more than I remember.

McVal said...

I need to start stockpiling... I hate running out of things.

Frances said...

We rarely run out of things, but my stockpile is smaller than it used to be. The deals have just not been good enough for me. I guess I will have to change my standards.

Jill said...

I try keeping up with the deals at CVs and grocery stores and aldi, etc. Sometimes though I feel I'm running in circles just to snag good deals. I do believe however that I will never run out of my stash of toothpaste...lol I seem to have a ton ;-)

Mamma has spoken said...

I'm the same way, if I bought it on a same as cash credit, it will be paid off a month before it comes due. I always pay them them month before they are due so that there is no confusion on owing a day late.

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-I think parting with money for ANYTHING pisses me off! Hmmmm, and now we know what is wrong with me. But I'm not going to pay you for the new revelation.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I am so sorry that I made you sick. I cried a bit from the shame of it all.

Sonya Ann said...

Out My window-I think that there is one thing that we all stockpile. Mine is toothpaste so it really bothered me when we ran out.

Sonya Ann said...

Hawaii Planner-We all need to take notes from sluggy. She is the master!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I just hate to part with the cash. I should just buy it little by little but I hate to have to get that stuff every week. So I'm cheap and lazy. Great.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-You summed it up perfectly. I think that we have to accept that the things we will like are going to cost more or that we are going to have to start using a cheaper brand. Gosh, you are smart.

Sonya Ann said...

Jill-Sometimes I feel like it gets a bit crazy to get everything that we need. I need to change my mindset and consider it more of a game than a chore.
And we are getting an Aldi soon so I won't have to drive 20 minutes to get groceries. I refuse to go to the Walmart in town. The cashiers just use their time to be rude and insulting.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma has spoken-I always try to keep everything paid off. But I am failing with that one card!

j udy said...

I love the ring!!! My tarra and all her college friends have a whole mustache thing going on.

This year I tried to save all my gift cards and swagbuck points but never came near your level of saving..but there is always next year

Sonya Ann said...

j udy-I guess I miss Anna a bit.
I don't think that I will get as much money next year as I did this year just because of the appliance refund. So next year I think that I will be complaining a lot more.