Monday, November 26, 2012

Simple, Simple Sonya

I started to flip out a bit because it seemed no matter what I did the amount of money that I had for Christmas didn't seem to be enough. I crunched numbers, refigured and finagled. And I couldn't seem to make the money stretch far enough. I was also really upset that I would have to report to you my failure. Ummmm yeah, I was looking at an old tally sheet that I had from a few months ago. Sigh of relief.
I got another $3 from Pinecone.  And I bought $300 worth of gift cards from Jewel and got $40 in free catalinas. I used the cats to buy groceries and put the cash in the Christmas fund. (I count it as free money, I don't count it as a discount on the cards.)
And now that I am adding it all up on the right sheet of paper, here is what we have.
American Express $25(gift card)
American Express $10 (gift card)
My Points $35 (2 gift cards)
Send Earnings $27.94
Pinecone $78
Toluna $80
Amazon Gift card $125(won)
Bank of America-$250
BP $300
HHGregg Visa cards $469.99
Jewel $80(from buying gift cards)
For a grand total of------$1480.93

And this is what I have so far............................
2 $25 Sears(paid full price)
2 $25 Macy's(paid full price)
2 $25 Olive Garden(paid full price)
2 $25 GameStop(paid full price)
2 $25 Lowes(paid full price)
2 $25 Chilis/Brinker(paid full price)
1 $10 Dominos gift card ($5)
1 $10 Papa Johns gift card($5)
1 $10 Panera gift card(free)
2 $25 Cinema gift card($12.50)
4 $25 Applebee's gift cards(full price)
3 $25 Kohls gift cards(full price)
1 $25 Barnes and Noble gift card(full price)
1 $25 American Express Card(free)
1 $10  American Express card(free)
1 $25 Bass Pro Shop Gift card(free)
4 $25 Amazon Gift Cards(I paid FULL PRICE)
2 $10 Boston Market Gift gift cards($5 each)
2 $10 Chili's gift cards(free)
1 $10 Chili's gift card($5)
1 plasma car paid $41.99 (40% off)
3 felt hats  at $1.93 each.  $5.79 for all(50% off)
2 Christmas bells at $4 each. $8 for all(50% off)
1 Shaggy D.A. DVD(free from Disney Movie Rewards worth $7.50)
1 tabletop ping pong for free(was $10 marked down to $5 used my CVS bucks to pay for it)
6 spatulas for1.92 each. $11.52 for all(70% off)
9 plates for 1.92 each. $17.28 for all(70% off)
11 cookies jars at 6.39 each. $70.29 for all(70% off)

I've spent $804.87. If I had paid full price, it would have been $935.33. I'm at 13.95% savings rate on the things that I have purchased. That savings rate is pretty gross. But I'm almost alright with it.
Looking for my tally sheet,
Sonya Ann

12 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

At least you have started shopping. Me, I haven't yet........

McVal said...

Please clarify something for me as you've piqued my curiosity...

"I used the cats to buy groceries "

Can you DO that???!

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma has spoken-My goal used to be to have my shopping done before Thanksgiving. I was such an over-achiever. Not anymore!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Not real cats! Catalinas. They are the coupons that print out with your receipt.

slugmama said...

Ok, I am confused....what's new, right?lol

Your $1480.93....did you spend $804.87(which is what your list of goodies cost you)of your $1480.93 money and visa cards you got free?
That means you have $676.06 left, right?

And if you spent $804.87 on what you bought(items and gift cards), I come up with a retail value of $1270.35($480.35 gifts & $790 for gift cards) on what you bought.
$804.87 spent on $1270.35 of goods gives you a 36.65% savings rate on what you spend/bought, not 13.95%. You saved a THIRD on retail!

You can thank me later for making you look much better. lol

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Thank you for correcting me. I'm not quite sure how you got your numbers but I will fix it later.

slugmama said...

you spent $804.87 on all gifts and gift cards.
The value of the gifts is $480.35 and the value of the cards is $790.00, makes the total value $1270.35(that figure may be off a little as I have been drinking today but it's close.lol)
so you saved $465.48 on what you bought.
You have $1270.35 worth of presents and you still have $676.06 left in cash and visa checks/cards.
You are frickin' AWESOME!

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Again thank you. I'll fix it later.

Frances said...

I agree with Sluggy's math. I got confused by yours. Your savings are a lot better than you thought.

You ARE awesome!

Donna Freedman said...

Ever thought about buying gift cards on the secondary market?
Sometimes they're weird amounts -- I'm using a Walgreens card with $49.81 on it, for example -- but often they're at round numbers like $25.
The difference? You don't pay $25. I've gotten discounts as high as 20%, and as low as 3% (for CVS, Target et al.).
Annnnddddd: You can also use them to buy gifts, vs. giving them outright.
Go to GiftCardGranny.com and see who's got the best deal for what you want. Note: Cardpool and Plastic Jungle can both be accessed through cash-back sites like Mr. Rebates, FatWallet and Extrabux for an additional discount of up to 1.5%.
Cheap bastards R us.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Thank you for thinking I'm awesome. Sorry I confused you.

Sonya Ann said...

Donna Freedman-I have gone through them a few times. And I'm going to sound like a brat but the cards were beat to shit and I was a bit embarrassed to give them out. Not too embarrassed because my cheapness will always win out over pride. LOL. I'll shop from them for us. Cuz I don't care what the kids or Den think of me. LOL