Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Onion Milk

This is the baker's rack that I got for $5 from a garage sale. I love it.
I wanted a herb garden for the window for the longest time and in the never ending quest to stretch a dollar and fulfill my wildest dreams, I dug up my "salvaged" green onions and replanted them. I have milked those green onions for all they are worth and then some.
I even used the Mother's day pots that Anna made for me in 1996 and 1999. And they say that I never save anything that they make!
If you look closely, there is a lovely wine basket behind my green onions. For some reason, it is always void of wine. I have tried to keep it full. I really have. But the bottles like to jump out and find a wine glass to fraternize with. They might be doing more than fraternizing. Scary.
If you would like to have your own free green onions all winter long just save about an inch off the bottom of your green onions the next time you use them. Plant those suckers in dirt and voila, you will have green onions growing in no time. Just trim the tops when you need some and it will be back before you can say, slutty cheap wine.
Smile,
Sonya Ann


8 comments:

McVal said...

lol! slutty cheap wine! hmm.. no green onions... My chives however grew like mad this summer! With any luck, I'll get some gardening done this summer, or at least some weeding... but I doubt it.

Mamma has spoken said...

I grew a garden this year and it didn't do that well. In fact my green onions are still in the ground, waiting for next spring ;o)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Frances said...

I had told Hubby about your growing green onions. He planted the bottoms of the ones I bought for Thanksgiving. We are looking for sprouts.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I hate weeding and I'm the only one that does it.
We have chives everywhere. They are popping up in other flower gardens. They are taking over!

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-I still have some outside too. I have a few other things like lettuce and parsley that I hope come back next year.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-You should see something by now. Was there at least an inch left of the roots? I stuck half an inch in the dirt and left the other half inch out.

Frances said...

I haven't checked, but there may not have been an entire inch of root. It seemed to me like there was enough root.

We need to plant chives next year. Hubby loves them and they are expensive to buy lately.