Monday, January 28, 2013

A Lush's Flop




Back in September, I wrote about making homemade hand-soap. It doesn't make bubbles the way normal hand-soap does but I still really like it and it gets your hands just as clean. And I still have half a jug left after all of these months.
And then I decided to get all wild and crazy with the hand-soap. I added a Lush bubble bar to the recipe so that it would smell wonderful. This was not a cheap experiment. It was $10.30 for one bubble bar! I know, this completely defeats the purpose of making your own hand-soap and saving money. But I am a Lush junky and I figured that it would be cheaper to have homemade hand-soap then to only take 2 bathes with the bubble bar. It doesn't survive more than twice.
If you look closely, DJ wrote his name in my experiment. He needs a hobby and I wouldn't suggest soap making to him.
For some reason, my new concoction will not make bubbles and is watery. I think that I needed to use 3 bars of soap plus the bubble bar.
I'm going to use it as a face wash. It really does smell amazing but that's about it. Since I don't want to drag out the big bottles to wash my face, I put a bit of my concoction in a plastic beer bottle with a twist-top. Nothing screams white trash more than washing your face with home made soap from a used beer bottle. I make me laugh. I could decorate the bottle but then I would just be gaudy white trash.
Back to the soap drawing board,
Sonya Ann
PS-the middle bottle is a vodka bottle that used to hold home made amaretto. Nothing in my house is in the correct container!

13 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

Send me your address and I'll send you my empty liquid soap bottle ;o)

j udy said...

Ohhh I want some!!! I tried soap making once and only once Detergent i can do but bar/liquid soap not a chance Ive heard about lush but never tried them

And I can def understand the vodka/beer bottle holder since some of my laundry detergent that i make is in a huge bottle of last summers daquari mix ..ok its three bottles

McVal said...

lol! Make sure you label them right! Hate to see a post where you drank out a wrong bottle and blew bubbles...

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-My life is one sad soap failure after another.

Sonya Ann said...

j udy-We have the same frugal ways. I'm glad to know that someone else out there is an alcoholic, er reuses old bottles.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-That one made me laugh!

slugmama said...

I thought you were going to make your own Lush bars?
Damn!...$10 for a bar of soap??
You'd better start another Xmas gift list type challenge to keep you in soap money.lol

Frances said...

There is what you were looking for to add to your Christmas giving list.....

White Trash Face Wash

Sheila said...

LOL MCVal!!!

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I know this one was way out of my price league. I have failed you. Hahaha.
Lush products are heaven though. They really are. Wait, they are more like crack. Sorry heaven, I got it wrong.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Bahahaha, I should give that out as homemade gifts!

Sonya Ann said...

Sheila-I think I bring out the crazy in everyone.

Frances said...

SonyaAnn, I think packaging it in used beer bottles would be a nice touch.