Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Kindly Cross-Dresser

Sometimes Den does things and I know he loves me. Other times he does things and I wonder if he even likes me. LOL. The next time he pissed me off, I'll try to remember the purse story. Mind you, I said I will try. I probably won't keep my mouth shut but again there is that word-TRY.
Den and I went to an estate sale. They were crazy busy. Note to self-if we ever need to have an estate sale, do it in the dead of winter. There is nothing to do here in the winter so everyone that was out and about stopped by. Honestly, people couldn't walk in the house. Everyone had to wait to take a few steps.
Anyways, I saw this purse. It was an antique and I thought it was unique. I told Den that I liked it but I wasn't paying $25 for an old purse that had a couple of small holes in. We left without the purse.
The next day, I said to Den that I sort of wished I had gotten the purse. I received the "I told you to get it" stare. Later in the day, we were out running some errands and were near the estate sale. Den said that we should stop by and see if they still had the purse. At that point, I had a headache and didn't care anymore. He was a dear and went in and bought it for me for $15. He also had to walk out the door carrying the purse. I swear I heard people laughing. I'm sure they were just laughing because his purse didn't match his shoes. The man that sold it to him said he was going to post his picture to Facebook. Den smiled and left quickly. He is good to me.
I love it but it smells so musty. I just wish that I knew when it was from. I did a search but didn't find a site that would date it. I did find a site that sells vintage purse though, Vintage in Style. It is a really interesting site and I thought that the prices were fair, almost cheap. Well, cheap if you compare it to Coach not a garage sale find. And I like the fact that the vintage purses have more style than your average purse and if you could find any info on it, it would be an interesting conversation starter. I'm sure that Den would love to hear the history on his purse.
Off to find Den matching shoes,
Sonya Ann

14 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

Cute find! I have no idea when it's from but if you go to one of those antique stores that specialize in clothing, I'm sure they could tell you. My guess would be 50's-60's. Only because it reminds me of something my grandmother would have used.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-I think you are right about the age. The clasp remind me of something my grandmother had. It would be interesting to find out though.

McVal said...

His purse is LOVELY!

Mark said...

Aw, that Den is so cute. Give him a kiss from me. And don't be stingy with the tongue! m.

slugmama said...

Den has a very lovely Murse there.
If that fabric is a chiffony thing with actual crewel work on it, I'd say it could be 1940's...this was a period of utilitarian design rather than design as art like pre WW2.
if the crewelwork looking design is printed on the Murse, I'd say 1950's.....a time of more ready to wear and industrialization in clothing.....stylish but use industry to mass produce/make it cheaper.

I've got some experience with purse history via my theater days but am by no means an expert.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sonya Ann said...

McVal-He would be so mad if he knew that I posted this!

Sonya Ann said...

Mark-How about you kiss him for me?

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Is there anything you don't know about? Honestly, is there something you don't know? Anything?
I think that it is probably from the 50's because of the clasp but what do I know.

Mark said...

'kay!

Sonya Ann said...

Mark-You make me laugh and he would love it.

Frances said...

That purse is so pretty! Den could wear red shoes with it. Perfect!

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!