Monday, January 21, 2013

Poor Granny

Den and I went for a lovely stroll in the mall a while back. We like to pretend that we have money. Ha! Well, we did have a bit of money in the form of gift cards. You gotta love Christmas gifts!
We were at a very posh mall. You know the mall that you go to just to window shop because everything is terribly overpriced! Anyways, they used to have a bunch of kiosks all over but I guess they are not in fashion anymore. Now they have tables where the kiosks were. Or maybe it is a sign of the times. You know-even the posh can't afford a kiosk cart. I kind of liked the kiosk carts and in a fire they could drag their entire business out the door with them. Well it might block the door a bit and some people might get trapped if you tried to get the kiosk out a door but it is business first, right?
Ok, I'm off track again. One of the tables had a bunch of flat glass cases all over. You know the ones that are like windows lying on their backs and had the locks on them where only the seller could open them. They were selling tons and tons of antique jewelry. And Lord have mercy, they were charging a ton. As in $200-$300 for a bracelet. Now I am not a trained professional but a lot of it looked as if it were garage sale finds. As in $4 to $5, garage sale finds. But since we were in a ubber-posh mall, the women were snatching these things up like crazy. The majority were beautiful but so over-priced. We actually had to sneak past a few people and turn sideways just to look into the cases. Den was next to me and because I have no tact or class, I said, "I wonder how many grandmas had to die to fill these cases." I got the standard response from Den which was him shaking his head and a bit of eye rolling. The woman next to me found that to be very funny. She was laughing so hard she couldn't even talk, she just nodded in agreement. Maybe I should be a bit more quiet.
A Sad Day for NanNaw,
Sonya Ann

9 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

I have some of at my house.
It really belong to my grandma.
I watch one of those reality shows that had someone's grandma's jewelry appraised and holy cow, it was worth a ton!
I think I know where I have some extra 'cash' since I'll never use any of it ;o)

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

When I die, the entirety of my fine jewelry will fit nicely in a CD case.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-I love some of those appraisal shows. Who knew junk was worth so much?

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-hahaha. I only have junk jewelry.

Hawaii Planner said...

Yeah, it's never going to be a risk in our family for anyone to want the old jewelry. We're not exactly jewelry people. ;-)

Sonya Ann said...

Hawaii Planner-I don't even wear my wedding ring because I have the tendency to crush things especially jewelry.

McVal said...

LOL!!!!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-:)

Frances said...

I would love to be next to you at the mall. I bet you brightened up that woman's day.