Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Stealin' Ideas

I'm a thief. I admit it. But it is a good idea so I'll steal just a little.
I popped over to Sunny Simple Life(she wrote about a post from Frugal Makes Cents so it has been stolen a few times over. ;p) and she was talking about what she was doing to cover the 2% increase(return) in the social security tax.
So I brushed off the ol' budget from last year
1244 house payment
190 car insurance
175 electric and gas
95 garbage and water 
141 cell 
30 gym
400 food
400 gas for cars
2675 total 
The new one for 2013 looks like this
1206 house payment(taxes went down)
165 car insurance
175 electric and gas
95 garbage and water  
141 cell 
30 gym
400 food
400 gas for cars
2612 total
This doesn't include the money going for college. 
I love our new monthly budget. It is almost pretty. It is so slim and simple. And in the event of unemployment I don't have a lot of trimming to do. I could cancel the gym membership even though I'm not sure if I would. The cells phones I'm not sure what I would do if we were living on unemployment. We don't have a home phone and if we got prepaid phones, Anna would blow through the minutes in a day. Honestly, I think that I would make the kids pitch in and help pay for the phones. I'm mean like that but at almost 21 and 17, I think they would have had a good run. Again, I'm a mean mom. Also I could probably trim some money from the food budget and the gas for the cars would go way down. I could get it close to $2100 a month without too much pain. When the unemployment ran out then we would be in trouble. There is always prostitution, right? Den is cute, I'm sure we could find him a date or two. 
The taxes went down on our house. We will just use that money to cover the part of the 2%. Normally, I would use the extra money and pay down the mortgage but I think I'll just use it to cover our lose. 
And I just remembered this, OMG how could I forget this one. Den wanted to refinance the house so before the holidays(ok that's why I forgot) I went to our bank and spoke with some amazing women about a loan. After all was said and done and I had my CPA FIL verify, we are better off not refinancing. How awesome is it that my bank said it was a bad idea?!? We pay bi-weekly plus quite a bit extra and by the time we paid off all of the fees to refinance, we won't be any farther ahead. At that point, we will be really close to having the house paid for. It still feels like an eternity away but slow and steady wins the house deed. 
We use a company that charges us $2.50 every other week to pay our mortgage. I know that I can pay my mortgage myself every other week and save the $65 a year. I have had this pointed out to me on more than one occasion. I think that $65/year is the best money that we waste! It keeps me from dipping in the till. If it was there for me to spend, I might give in and spend a bit of it. Knowing that I can't touch it keeps me resourceful.   
And after all of that rambling, I'll get back to the point! We need to come up with about $100 a month. I've got $63 of it since our taxes have been lowered. $37 more to go! We have wiggle room between our income and budget but I would rather try and come up with it by shaving a few dollars here and there. God, it took us a long time to get to the point where we had wiggle room! Hard work and time!
So do you have plans to come up with the 2%?
The criminal,
Sonya Ann

16 comments:

McVal said...

What company pays your mortgage every week??? Are they nationwide?
Love your slim budget! I don't think you'll have to pimp out Den...

McVal said...

I mean... everyone will be in the same boat! No one's going to be able to budget for a gigolo...

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-We got a flyer from Chase, it is a subsidiary. I'm sure you could google bi-weekly payments and find something or call your mortgage company. The only down side is when you have a month with an extra Friday you don't get to keep that mortgage money. That is how you pay extra. You pay 13 payments a year.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-So you may or may not be a taker?

Cheapchick said...

How did you get your insurance down - usually higher deductibles is the easiest way to reduce insurance premiums. I think the $65 you pay to have a company pay your mortgage is money well spent.

Hawaii Planner said...

Hmmm, I got a (small) raise in September, & haven't been able to calculate the exact impact to my paycheck yet (because other deductions maxed out at the same time). My first paycheck on the 15th will be the one I'll use to budget.

I'm not sure where else we'll cut, given the current state of our budget, but I'll get creative. :-)

slugmama said...

It is well known in these parts that I am even meaner than you because I don't enable teenage phone addicts. ;-)

Still paying a 21 yr. old's phone bill? tsk tsk tsk
Not to shame you into not doing that or anything.....

But the rest of it looks good to me....nice and svelte and ready for a photo shoot.....

ChiTown Girl said...

I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with the kids paying their own cell phone bills. Or, at least part of it. You are NOT a mean mom, you are teaching your kids responsibility. I started working full-time at the age of 16 (and from 11-16, I had a babysitting job that was 4 days a week!) At 18, I started giving my mom $50 a week from my paycheck. She actually saved it for me, but that's besides the point. At the time, I looked at it as my "rent." I don't see anything wrong with a 17 and 21 year old contributing to the household.

Ok, I'll climb off my soapbox now.

xoxox

Sheila said...

I'm w/Sluggy but meaner...my 15yo pays for his own phone...pay as you go Baby!

Mamma has spoken said...

Hum, what am I going to do?
Pray.......

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-I changed our homeowners insurance to the same company as our car insurance. Progressive. Den had had an accident a few years back and it also was wiped from our record so that helped too.
And thanks about the $65/year. Most people really think that it is a waste.

Sonya Ann said...

Hawaii Planner-You really have cut everything to the bone. I'm sure that you will "find" the money.
It just makes me mad because the state of IL took the 2% as soon as everyone got it. And the bastards made it retroactive so we had to pay even more. Now that we have to start paying the 2% again, the state isn't giving it back. So we are really screwed. Never saw the money in the first place and ended up owing more cuz it was retroactive. Pisses me off. And don't get me started on how we get charged more for gas than everyone else.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Her phone bill is $10 a month, I'll pay it until she graduates. But we might be getting another car insurance discount soon. Anna had a fender bender a few years ago and that should be off the record. The kids have to pay their own car insurance so I'll just use the savings to pay their cell bills. See I'm always thinking.

Sonya Ann said...

ChiTown Girl-I started babysitting at 13. It sucked because I never had a summer but it was money.
The kids both have to pay for their own car insurance. Anna pays all of her own bill out of the money that she makes in the summer except for the cell. But like I said to sluggy, I think I have a way to pay for theirs now. I'm crafty like that!

Sonya Ann said...

Sheila-Good for you!

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-I'll pray with you!