Monday, January 7, 2013

You Lush

Remember how everyone thought that I was an alcoholic when I was talking about Lush bars? Well, I might be but I did make the lotion bars.
TaDa.................................
I used the crock pot method for making lotion bars. This worked PERFECTLY. I usually don't like to use things that are wasteful like crock pot liners and such. That said I knew that this would ruin my beloved crock pot. And a liner is way cheaper than a new one.
I melted one cup of beeswax, 1 cup of Shea butter, and one cup of coconut oil. If you have never made lotion bars before I would recommend this recipe. In my worthless opinion, they were a bit more like dry chap-stick but it is a very good place to start.
I wanted the bars to be a bit more Lush-like. So I remelted everything and added 1/4 cup of caster oil(I used caster oil because of its healing properties but any oil should work). This definitely made the bars melt quicker in my hands. They are a bit greasy but if you have ever used a Lush bar, you get used to it quickly and then crave it like a drug. I keep the bar in a plastic baggy and rub it on. That way my hands don't get overly greasy.
I also added Tangerine essential oil to the mix. I stink pretty, let me tell you.
Also if you are going to make something messy like this and don't have a dedicated crock pot and utensils, use a crock pot liner and wrap your ladle.That sounded bad, didn't it? I put the ladle in a sandwich bag and then used an old piece of aluminum foil to mold it into place. This worked like a charm and I had NO CLEAN UP. Odd little lotion bar stalactites formed off of the aluminum when I was ladling but other than that it was perfect.
Anna and I also made Christmas cards after Christmas. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. But you know this already! We are using them as thank you cards. And it was nice just to sit at the table and talk. It's like she is a grown up or something.
We were just all kinds of crafty this winter break. Who knows what is next for me? I might take up canning. Or I could just have a drink, clip coupons for green beans and not have to snap beans. I like that plan so much better!
Being all kinds of crafty,
Sonya Ann



14 comments:

Frances said...

I think that you could make these lotion bars for some of your Christmas gift recipients next year. Well, unless the cost of the ingredients is prohibitive.

Hawaii Planner said...

Just got a crockpot & can't wait to try this recipe!

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I'm confident none of those oils would ruin your crock pot and they're all ingestible, so it would be safe to use the crock pot after washing it. Just sayin'.

On the other hand, I'm all for the easy cleanup!

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-It breaks down to about $2 a bar! There are very few people that I like that much!HAHAHAHA! It is so expensive but it is cheaper than the real thing. Think of it as my methadone.

Sonya Ann said...

Hawaii Planner-Just use the liner! Trust me.

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-I'm sure it would be fine but I had to scrape the snot out of one knife that I used the first time around. I think that it would be best to get dedicated utensils. I'm just hoping that the bars last a long time and I won't need to make them anytime soon.
I did see that some people go to garage sales and look for beeswax candles to make their bars. DO you think that is safe?

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

Safe? Probably, if it was being used for lotion and not something like lip balm. Most of the beeswax candles I've seen at sales have been dirty/dusty, and I don't think I'd want to go to all the trouble to make these only to have dust in them. I get why they do it, though; beeswax is kinda pricey.

McVal said...

You're such a Lush!!!! I might need to try that recipe... Can you serve it with salsa?

Mamma has spoken said...

I think this summer you need to go on the hunt for a crock pot that you can use for making lush bars and your own candles ;o)

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-I thought it was kind of gross. But after buying it and finding out the costs, I get why they look for old candles. I saw online how someone was talking about using regular candles for lotion bars. I don't know about that one. I wouldn't want to waste the other ingredients seeing how none of this stuff is cheap.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-If you ate one of the bars, you might get the poops. Or might do the exact opposite. Hmmmm, we should test it on you?

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-I have thought about making candles too. You are right, I need to find an old crock pot to make both.

D.Lynn said...

You guys are killing me! Too Funny :D
I've always wanted to make candles too - it's that crafty side of me that thinks I have a lot of time on my hands (not!). Maybe in my next lifetime :)

Sonya Ann said...

D.Lynn-It wasn't real high on my list but Anna pestered me A LOT!