Tuesday, February 26, 2013

$5 Apocalypse

Do I think that the $5 apocalypse is coming? Yes, I do. Am I scared? Nope, well maybe a little.
I think that gas will eventually hit $5 a gallon. It is just a matter of time. And living in the Chicago-land area means I'm at ground zero.
I think I am like everyone else, I try really hard to be careful with our money and do the best that I can-most of the time. I slip off of the frugal wagon here and there. Hell, sometimes I jump off that rickety old wagon. It's not fun to pinch pennies all the time.
But I think that $5 a gallon gasoline is going to have a lot of people chasing after that damned cheap old wagon. And it isn't so much the extra money that you spend at the pump that really gets you, its how everything else goes up with it.
We all know the drill. You look at everything that you are spending money on and then cut it out or cut it back. Been there and done that.
I also like to brush up on the basics. Some people reread their favorite romance novels or sci-fi books. Nope, give me a good book on saving money and I'm a happy girl. I have been going to Grocery Budgeting 101 for a refresher course too.
It's funny how when I first started writing this blog and trying to really cut back, I came up with an unemployment budget. Now our monthly budget very closely mirrors what I thought was an emergency budget back in the day. Are we in an emergency now? No, in fact we are doing much, much better than we were before. Den has a good, stable job and we are all so thankful but a lot of this is because I decided to cut back on everything that we didn't need. It has been quite an experience. Am I done learning? Never.
I will continue to look at our spending and try to find interesting ways to cut back. And I will probably bore you with all of my victories and some of my debacles.
Join me on the frugal wagon,
Sonya Ann

16 comments:

Val said...

I want to be frugal! I want to be frugal!! But the danged people in my house have expensive tastes...
I want them to be frugal! I want them to be frugal! and tidy...

slugmama said...

None of us are EVER done learning to be more frugal.
There is always room for improvement.

Hubs and I want to RV when he retires a few years down the road from now. I predict we will be able to pick up a real nice frugal deal on a motorhome if $5 and up gas happens. Of course, $5 and up gas will mean we can't drive our new toy anywhere, but hey!....you can't have everything at the same time. lolol

ChiTown Girl said...

Ok, first of all, I didn't know we were practically neighbors! When the hell are we getting together for coffee!?

I like to think I know a thing or two about being frugal. But, yeah, this gas thing is KILLING us!! I'm actually thankful I don't have a job to drive to anymore because it's saving me TONS on gas. :(

ND Chic said...

I think you are so right. Its just a matter of time before we're paying five bucks a gallon. Milk is almost five bucks a gallon already.

Sheila said...

I am with you sister!

Frances said...

You know we are always on the wagon. I hate to get off...I am so cheap!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sonya Ann said...

Val-I know I blame the people that I live with too. No really I do!

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Ain't it the truth! But did ya ever notice that the people that keep trying to learn are the ones that aren't in need of the most help.
You could sell your house and just park the cheap RV and live in it. Hell we could buy one too and not go anywhere!

Sonya Ann said...

ChiTown Girl-And Helene is right by you. She stops by here once in a while.
Den talks about quitting his job to save on gas money. It would defeat the purpose a bit but at least he is thinking about trying to save.

Sonya Ann said...

ND Chic-OK I would be flipping out if milk was $5 a gallon. It's about $2 here. I wish I could send you some cheap milk. It probably wouldn't make it though. LOL
Our area produces quite a bit of milk. The funny thing is powdered milk cost more per gallon here than the real thing!

Sonya Ann said...

Sheila-We will be the walking sisters.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Cheap used to be a bad word not so much anymore. Now it is almost sexy.

Frances said...

Baby, we make cheap sexy!

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Yeah baby.

Jane said...

I did the math conversion (gas per liter up here in the north runs around $1.26) which equals $4.76 per gallon so we're mighty close to. I just know it will go even higher when summer rolls around and I need to drive 2000km to PEI and back again. I am definitely back on the FRUGAL wagon honey!