Monday, February 11, 2013

Little Money

I don't think that I have posted a better picture on my blog yet. It's so second grade.
I'm slowing down on the free money. Don't panic, right? I'm not, I will save that for June-ish.
I got another $3 from Pinecone Research and $5.74 from Bank of America. They have something like Mr. Rebates/My Points now. Just log on to your account and shop through their site. I thought that I would give it a try. They credit your account when the purchase clears. It's a meh, its not the greatest site but they did pay me on a rental car for Den so I'll search their site if all else fails. It's just not well laid out but free money is free money and I'll take it.
So far we have.......
$49.40  BP
$5         free check from magazines.com
$12       Pinecone research(surveys)
$75       Energy Plus(electricity rebate)
$80       Jewel(bonus for buying gift cards)
$5.74    Bank of America Add it up(Like Mr.Rebates/My Points)

$227.14 for Christmas 2013.
I dropped out of the Energy Plus program so I won't be getting anymore rebates from them. The city of Antioch switched electricity carriers and got our electric for almost half of what I was paying. It isn't often that the city actually negotiates a better deal than I do and one that benefits us.Rude but so true.
I have to go through my list but I think that I am just going to send gift cards in the Christmas cards instead of gifts to quite a few people. It is going to be more expensive but will make Christmas much more enjoyable for me. But in the end, it will depend if I can get some cheap gift cards. Let's hope Jewel comes through for me.
And the only thing that I have purchased so far is 3 boxes of Christmas cards. I paid a whooping $.75 for them. Nothing says holiday spirit like a cheap card from the Goodwill. I'm just reeking of holiday spirit. The cards were new and still in the original box so the cards don't reek just me.
Gag-happy holidays-gag,
Sonya Ann

18 comments:

slugmama said...

Nobody should EVER pay full retail price for Christmas cards....well, except maybe my Sis-IL....because she thinks she is MADE of money(ha!)and somebody has to keep Hallmark in business.....

I get my Xmas cards from Ollie's, the bargain discounter so they are last year's designs(or older)and marked for $1-$3, and then after Xmas by the end of Jan. they are clearanced to 75% and sometimes I've found them for 90% off.
So I pay maybe $1-$2 for multiple boxes, while my Sis-IL pays more than that for 1 card.

SonyaAnn, we ROCK!!!

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I just don't understand how people think that it is ok to waste money. It is so hard to come by.
And yes, I agree that we rock.
I think that learning to save money and learning frugal ways is something that evolves. I never had a lot of money and no one ever taught me about it but I was cheap from the start so that helped me a lot. I think that our kids are really far ahead of the game. It is something that they won't completely realize until they are own their own. I can see that Anna is getting-slowly. She is the one that I worried about. She loves thrift stores now. So it is a good start.

Cheapchick said...

Every year I see tons of brand new cards at thrift stores in perfect condition for pennies. This year after Christmas I found company Christmas cards for our business there for .35. I am saving for Christmas 2013 now as well. Mostly swagbuck amazon.ca giftcards and cash though. I have a $20 shopping channel egiftcard they gave me for doing some Christmas shopping there this year and it is valid until end of year so will likely find another cute bracelet for my stepdaughter there.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-I'm saving my swagbucks for Christmas too! I really love to see how everyone is becoming so creative in how to pinch a penny. I always read money saving tips-most I know but every once in a while I learn something new.
And you are awesome for planning ahead and saving money!!!

McVal said...

YAY! The First Christmas greeting of 2013!!!
You're still WAY ahead of me chicky! And NO ONE has to know where those Christmas cards came from!

Hawaii Planner said...

We do picture Christmas cards, but spend about $15 for all of them. Mostly for the husband's family, who lives out of the country & doesn't get to see the kids.

ChiTown Girl said...

That picture made me laugh out loud!

Jane said...

I buy my cards after Christmas too when they're cheap cheap cheap! My problem is I buy so many that I have the same ones for more than one year so I'm sure there are a number of recipients who have received the same card a couple years in a row! Do you think they'd forget what card I sent them a year ago? Who cares!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Now all I have to do is write an awesome and entertaining letter to go in them. Nope, I'm not that good.

Sonya Ann said...

Hawaii Planner-You do really good getting pic cards for that cheap. And I think that is a great gift to give people out of the country.

Sonya Ann said...

ChiTown Girl-It did me too!

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-I have done that before too. I just use the extra cards from the years before for gift cards. That way I don't have to wrap a container. And I'm being lazy not cheap with that one.

Mamma has spoken said...

I guess this is the place to tell how one buys their Christmas cards AFTER Christmas just so you can save a butt load of money (yes add my name to the list).
As for being thrifty, I can remember my mom being the queen of it. She could make a buffalo nickel sh**. Anyway, growing up, I swore I wouldn't do some of the stuff she did.
I'm now doing them.........

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma has spoken-I think you were lucky to have a thrifty mom. My kids didn't like it but now I can see that they are watching their pennies too.
I just think that things are so tough for everyone that we have to share all of our tips.

Sheila said...

I used to watch Batman daily in my youth, 4 PM. Same bat time, same bat channel. Memories.

Sonya Ann said...

Sheila-Hahaha, I remember that!!! You are awesome.

Frances said...

Love Batman! Always have!

Good luck with your kids following in your frugal footsteps. My kids are apparently made of money now that they are on their own. LOL!

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Kids just need to hit a rough spot and then they will revert to their frugal ways!