Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Lost and Naked

There have been plenty of times where I have felt or been made to feel inferior because I am a stay at home mom. I will even point out the fact that I have a 21 and 17 year old. And then something happens to remind me that it is ok to be me and have my job.
About a month ago, Den had to go to Texas to train some people at their sister company. I'm proud of him and I tell him. He was given flight times and a print out. He knew that a hotel was booked but didn't get the paper for that. He also wanted a rental car.
About three days before he left, he became...................hmmmm how do I say this.............pissy. Den is pretty easy going so even when he is a grouch, it is tolerable. I, on the other hand, am not tolerable at times. But he was stepping it up a notch even by my standards.
And then it dawned on me, I take care of everything when we travel. Hell, I take care of everything all the time. And now he was on his own. I know that some would see this as a valuable training lesson. giggle. But it is my job to organize the family(as Den puts it, I would say browbeat them into submission) so I took over for the poor man. I rented the car and added all the addresses to the GPS. I put all the info on his flights, room, and car in his phone. I also set everything out that he would need to pack.
Once I took over, the stress left him. All he had to do was get up and drive to the airport. I had even found out where he had to go to catch the bus to get to the car rental place.
Sometimes, I forget how lucky I am to have this job. CEO and Organizer. And I love how I feel when I make their lives easier. I really am blessed. And so are you because if I didn't take care of these people they would be lost and naked. This is a site you really don't want to see. I'm speaking from experience.
Keepin' people clothed,
Sonya Ann

18 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

He should hire you as his personal assistant, though I'm sure he would say that's why he married you ;o)

D.Lynn said...

You're a gem SA. Now you just need to figure out how to market those skills and become a millionaire :)!

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I do the organizing, Shane does the heavy lifting. It works for us. :)

He's working out of town this week, but I didn't pack for him. I tried that a couple of times, but he's the only one who really knows what he wants to take with him.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-I'm the cleaner(not in a professional killer sort of way) and the organizer. Not much of a job title unless your in the mob.

Sonya Ann said...

D.Lynn-I'll be happy to come up with the $1400 at the end of the year.

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-DJ has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting around here lately. All those hormones do come in handy for something besides a pissed off attitude.

Sharon said...

It's MUCH harder to be the CEO of your family! You should never be made to feel inferior.
Now, since you are so good at it, could you help me plan our summer vacation? :)!

Sharon

Hawaii Planner said...

I think there's no winning with this one, because I get all of the reverse side looks & comments, "Oh, you work?" And, honestly, both jobs are so hard, it doesn't matter which you choose. If it's working for you & your family, you're already miles ahead of everyone else. :-)

slugmama said...

Truly, both our families would fall apart without us Sonya Ann....and mine would be penniless to boot. lol

Those families who choose(or it just ends up that way)to go through life on one income are lucky(if the income is enough)and are always looked at with suspicion once the kids are school aged. My Hubs labored under the fantasy that once #2 son was in school that I'd go "have a career". Right.... That so wasn't happening. If I got a puny little job we ran the numbers and between the money and having to take off if/when kids weren't in school or paying for daycare or sickcare, we'd go into the hole so I could be "fulfilled" with a job.

I think some ladies are jealous and others wonder why we would make the choice(because they can't see themselves making this choice) and others why we'd make a choice that leaves us with less income. You have to do what works for YOU personally and your family.

Sonya Ann said...

Hawaii Planner-Damned if we do and damned if we don't.
And you are the only one that thinks I'm ahead! But thank you much.

Sonya Ann said...

Sharon-Thank you so much! I feel validated!
If we can plan a vacation and do it on a budget-you made my day!!!!

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Hahahaha, Den said to me that if I left the family would eat really well for a few days and then be in the dark. Next would be homelessness. They just couldn't do it. And I have seen what happens when Den takes over. He gets all mad and then we fight and then I finish it. Sound about right?
Honestly, what kind of a job am I going to get? I've been out of the work force for so long and I don't have a degree. I'll be working for minimum wage. Den and I had this same discussion. We would be in the hole once we paid for clothes and gas. So why would we do this? And honestly, I spoil Den. I figure its part of my job. Dinner is ready for him and his slippers are at the door. I know it sounds all 1950s but he has given me a huge gift. I got to stay home with the kids(well I worked part time and at home for a few years-it was HELL) and now I get time to write. I figure he spoils me with letting me stay home and I spoil him with doing all of the chores. He isn't getting out of mowing though. I refuse!

j udy said...

I agree 100 percent. I was home til my youngest started first grade, going to work wasnt on my schedule but had to happen.

But its the same way here because dh works two stressfull jobs, the kids are here or there it's me who keeps things organized. I keep the main calender on the fridge with everyone color coded and email all the updates to gmail calendars.

Life just goes easier when I can keep tabs on everything..Plus without me they would keep going into debt and Lord only knows what else. They need us!

Sonya Ann said...

j udy-It doesn't seem fair that we have to do it all. I used to gripe about it all the time when the kids were young. Now I'm over it and just do it all. But I also make sure that I have some writing time for myself. I get all kinds of crabby if I can't write for a few day.

Jane said...

Do you rent yourself out? Really. Because you're one in a million and I could use a few of your skills. No wonder I'm so grumpy.

Frances said...

I feel your pain, SonyaAnn, sort of...but the opposite. LOL! Did you follow that?

You should see the looks I get when I tell people that Hubby doesn't work. And we don't even have kids at home. Of course, once they hear how spoiled I am and what good care he takes of me, I think they are jealous. Hubby and I take care of each other. I make money and manage our budget and he takes care of the homefront. We are both happy and his health is not jeopardized by the stress of working. That means I will get to keep him longer.

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-Anything for you, baby!

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I think that we have to do what works for us. We are so much happier. And to be honest, I'm not exactly healthy. Wish I knew what it was but that would mean having a Dr that cares. Not going to happen so we just do what we can and adapt.
And I think sweet knees is great too.