Monday, March 4, 2013

Saving More $ Than You

Den called me from work the other day and asked me if I was cold when I got up in the morning. Nope. Hmmmmm, why would he ask such a question? I always take a deep breath before I ask him why. I have to. It calms and steadies my nerves. I rarely like what I hear when he starts with some crazy statement/question.
He said he woke up in the morning and it was "super cold" in the house. Well, duh. I turn the heat down when we go to bed. He should thank me really. Think of all the money that I save us.
Anyways, he was in the bathroom in his socks and underwear and thought he was going to freeze to death. Sorry about the visual. Just think about Tatum Channing in his undies and it will be all better.
Den said he went into the hall to check the thermostat but it was dark and he couldn't see with just the bathroom light. So he flipped on the light on the fan and still couldn't make out what it said. He thought it was cuz it was so early and his eyes weren't working. But come to find out, there was nothing on the thermostat.  The keypad was blank.
He went downstairs in the kitchen to get some batteries and, of course, we had no AAA. Then he went down into the rec room to rob a remote. He said it felt like it was 40 degrees down there. Here is where I roll my eyes. Like it was 40 in the house. What is wrong with him?
He took the thermostat apart and put the batteries in. He didn't think that it could be right when it did come back on because it said 57. It said 57 and that was upstairs. We live in a tri-level and it is at least, 10 degrees cooler downstairs if not more all the time. He was telling the truth when he said it felt like it was 40 downstairs. Glad I slept through that one.
So the moral of the story, change the batteries in your thermostat. And don't doubt your husband's internal thermometer. Wait that sounded wrong.
Ice, ice baby,
Sonya Ann



12 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

I do the same with my programmable thermostat. The turning down at night part not the forgetting to change the batteries part.....

McVal said...

I've got too many complainers in the house to do a programmable one. As soon as a few move out, I'm a gonna do that!
He should be thankful to have such a frugal lady!! But look for coupons for batteries...

ChiTown Girl said...

Den could NEVER live here, then. There have been times (and I've posted about them) that I PURPOSELY let that thermostat hit, like, 48! Ok, that was extreme, but I was trying to not turn the heat on! I'm trying to remember if I've had to change the batteries in this thermostat. I honestly can't remember. I LOVE my programmable thermostat!!

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-Who knew the damned thing had batteries?

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Hahaha, you are a funny lady!
We love our kids but it is kind of nice to dream about an empty nest. I bet the nest will be clean too.

Sonya Ann said...

ChiTown Girl-I will send him to your house when he complains! Ok I want to stay friends with you so I won't do that.

Frances said...

He would hate it at our place. We sleep with the windows open in the winter. 40 degrees....bring it on!

Channing Tatum...underwear....drool.....

Sheila said...

I actually had to google Channing Tatum! How did I miss that hotness?

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I just replaced our programmable thermostat a few months ago, so I hope the batteries stay good for a while. We set ours at 60 at night (as low as it will go w/o turning it off), but I keep it 68-70 during the day. I tend to get cold easily and don't function well at all when I am.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Don't drool with the heat down that low, it might freeze.

Sonya Ann said...

Sheila-You are welcome for that tidbit!

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-I keep it at 65 during the day and then warmer at night. Den and DJ don't function well. I mean they don't function well with the heat down. I used to be like that and now it seems like I have gotten used to it a bit more. Or I have hypothermia.