Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Such a Bore

 Usually life hands you lemons, not here. You get onions around these parts. I've got nothing to write about today so you get an onion update. And the update isn't great. They aren't doing so hot. They are sort of wilting. I was able to trim them a couple of times and now I really don't want to even eat them. I'm hoping that the ground with thaw and I can replant them. Or maybe just dump the dirt on the side of the garage.
 The weed that made it into the pot with the green onions is doing fabulous though. It can stay because I don't pull weeds in the winter.
I think the secret to having healthy green onions in the house is to forgo the dirt and just grow them in water. I just rinse them off and give them fresh water every other day. Or the water gives of a funky smell. People usually think that it's my cooking stinking up the place but NO I say, its the onions.
And that's it,
Sonya Ann

8 comments:

McVal said...

:) I really need to do that sometime... But the question would be where to put them. I guess I'll stick with the outside garden thing...

Cheapchick said...

I did the water thing but they only are really good for another 2 weeks then had to throw the last bit out and I was changing the water every other day. If nothing else it is a good way to stretch onions. I am going to try and grow some from seed in some large flower pots to see how that goes as we can't put in a garden for two months until some major landscaping is done. Cheers!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I'm lazy and cheap so this is great for me.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-Just throw the ends in dirt and stick it by the back door. Then you will have a little bit of the landscaping done. lol

Mamma has spoken said...

I didn't pull my onions up last fall and guess what? They are growing, outside, in the dirt. Yep, I can go out and pull them up now if I wanted to.
I don't want to....

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-Don't pull-trim!!!!

Frances said...

I told Hubby about you planting green onions and he planted his own on his balcony garden. Stuff grows here in the winter.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-You lucky, lucky girl. I'm so sick of being cold. It is supposed to be 25 today.