Thursday, April 4, 2013

52 Week Change Up

If there is one thing that I have learned, it is that I can't follow the rules. I just can't do it. Yes, I am a rebel. I'm not like a guy who won't read the rules, I read them and then don't follow them. That is worse.
I'm still working on the 52 week money challenge. Going strong! I think we are coming up on week 14. I'm going to finish, I hope. It's just that I have decided that the layout of it, isn't for me. I know when the end of the year comes I won't be able to squeeze $50ish a week out of nowhere. I just won't be able to do it. I will hopefully have the Christmas fund-funded. I hope to have some money set aside for all the extra food we make but the end of the year is always the time of year when we are broke. We have people coming in town. We want to go out for a meal or need alcohol. Something always comes up and that something always costs money. And while I pride myself on never starting the new year with any debt, I know that I would stop doing the 52 week challenge just so that I wouldn't start the year with any credit card debt.
So to make sure that I am able to complete the 52 week challenge, I'm going to see how much money I have at the end of the week and if I can cobble together extra, I will scratch off a week that costs more. So while everyone is paying off weeks in say the 20s, I'll be in the 50s. That way when the holidays come around, I'll only need to "pay" a cheaper week to hit $1378. I'll follow the idea of the challenge, I'll just pay the more expensive weeks sooner.
I could try and save more than the $1378 but this really is a stretch for me as it is. Every penny has a home and I'm not one to deviate from a good plan. I'll keep you posted about how this is working. Maybe next year, I will start off at the end of the year and work my way backwards.
Rule Breaker,
Sonya Ann

13 comments:

D.Lynn said...

Great idea! Keep me posted~ From, your fellow rule breaker :)

Sonya Ann said...

D.Lynn-So are you still saving?

Cheapchick said...

I am not doing the 52 week challenge but am doing the Saving For Travel Sealed money pot. She reminds us each week to put something in, whatever we can come up with. In the end I am unlikely to save as much as you but I also cannot see saving on this kind of regimented schedule as we are self employed and monies differ from month to month. Cheers!

Jennifer said...

I love this idea! It would be great for my teens or for me to save for a treat.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-I agree this would be way too hard if you were self employed. I think it is just about coming up with a way to "hide" a few dollars. Good luck!

Sonya Ann said...

Jennisfer-I vote you save for a treat for yourself!

D.Lynn said...

I am still saving... I did need to borrow from it while switching jobs last month and while it wasn't much, it was great to have handy and easy to put back and catch up! :)

D.Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McVal said...

It's been a crap month for us so far... and we're only 5 days in!

Sonya Ann said...

D.Lynn-I'm glad that you were able to replace it and that you had it!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I'm so sorry to hear that.

Jane said...

That's pretty smart thinking!! That's pretty much the whole reason why I didn't do this challenge - doing it in reverse makes so much sense - I'm proud to know you Sonya Ann!

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-Well I usually screw everything up so remind me of this the next time I make a huge mistake.