Monday, April 15, 2013

Outside Itch

From DIY and craft ideas
 I'm dying to get outside and do SOMETHING! It is still a bit too early to plant anything here. So I am coming up with more ideas for the yard. I would love to have a little nook in the yard or odd/interesting things all over. But to be honest, it would probably just look like junk. I'm at least honest about my limitations.

from in the fun lane.com
 We have had a few complaints about our yard being dark and hard to traverse. And that would be because we don't have any lights around the pool. I suggested to Den that we string up some Christmas lights. He vetoed that. He said it was too dangerous. I wasn't going to put the lights IN the pool just near it. He just doesn't have the vision that I do.
And I love the fact that I can get the jars/bottles for free for this project. I save glass jars. I don't know why but I feel guilty about recycling a bottle. So I wash them and save them all-under the sink. I'm a neat and tidy sort of gal but I will hoard the hell out of glass bottles and jars. It's ok because Den hoards old jeans and shirts to use as rags in the garage. He has at least, two loads out there. My mother in law hoards used aluminum pans. She washes them and saves them by the stack. At Thanksgiving, I usually act as if I'm going to throw one of them out just to watch her squirm. I've actually seen her set dirty trays outside when she thought no one was looking to "save" them. This family has issues.
I'm sure that when I do get around to making all of these, I'll post about it until you are bored.
Still dreaming,
Sonya Ann

8 comments:

Jill said...

My grandma did the same..in fact she reused everything! Living through the depression made her very frugal!
Love these ideas. Have you considered solar powered lighting around your pool? So many options now. :-) Hope you have a wonderful day!

Jill

Sonya Ann said...

Jill-Yes, about the solar powered lights, I just need to get them cheap enough.
My grandparents lived through the depression, My grandfather would hoard everything. My grandmother would keep the bare minimum.

McVal said...

lolol! My MIL is a hoarder too. I've seen her go through my garbage... My mother hoards turkey carcasses... It is very difficult to hide a turkey carcas at Thanksgiving to pitch. She might very well go dumpster diving if you cross her! And then she's competing with an aunt to get them after our big reunions!
You're not the only family with issues...
Those jar lights are really cool!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-So what do you hoard? Besides dogs.

Mamma has spoken said...

My mom was a hoarder of glass bottles too. But not just any glass bottles, only those that were good for canning in. Never mind that the cookbooks say not to do this, she did. She never threw a jar away unless it was cracked or chipped. When she passed away, I spent a packing up her collection and taking them to be recycled.
I had an aunt that collected used plasticware including bags. She never threw them away. Just washed them, air dry them, and used them again, repeat. AND she was known for going through the trash to pull out plasticware to wash and reuse. Didn't matter that the fork was missing a talon. She would say it still worked....

Frances said...

SonyaAnn, there are solar yard lights in the Aldi ad for $1.79!

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-I'm sure when I die my kids will have a hell of a time cleaning out the house. LOL they won't be getting anything useful or valuable from me just glass jars. Poor kids.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-OH........MY.........GOD! Must go now!!