Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Teenager's Frugal Lesson

That's me without the bow tie. We all strive to raise our kids to be responsible. We want them to do well in school, be well-rounded, polite, and money savvy. And sometimes, the little bastards catch us on our own lessons. DJ loves to do this.
DJ's high school has a Walgreens next to it. They moved from across the street into a new building at least a year ago. I'm still mad at them and haven't been back since a coupon incident. Well, it wasn't one big incident, it was few. They are rude and coupon-haters. So I decided that they didn't deserve anymore of my money. As you can tell, they have suffered tremendously.
DJ stays after school quite often for tech(lighting for plays and other functions). The kids often walk over to Walgreens and buy drinks. DJ informed me that he would be saving a ton of money if he had a Balance card.  He told me to "take one for the team" and get one for him because it's a sin to waste money.
So should I take one for the team or tell him you only have to be 13 to get a Balance card? He's either money conscious and uninformed or a lazy bastard and cheap. Oh and all junk food/drinks comes out of his money not mine.
I'll probably get one just so I can accumulate all of the points and use them for some free stuff around the house but it hurts my heart a little to do it. The only bonus to getting the card for DJ is that he would probably pass the card out to all of his friends so they could get there food at a discount too. That would be one slutty Balance card.
Schooled,
Sonya Ann


11 comments:

McVal said...

Ok... I don't even know what a balance card is... BUT here is my advice.
If you can only get them at Walgreens, how about going across town and getting one there... provided you have two in town. Then the little b*****d can buy his pop along with the other little kids.

I'm sorry.. Have I NOT have enough caffeine today? I'm not myself.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I'm shocked and impressed! That is a better idea. I'll go to another Walgreens.

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

Sonya Ann, I think you're finally rubbing off on McVal. I'm so proud of you both! ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Frances said...

Just sign up online and he can use your phone number at checkout. I signed up with the program was first announced and never received a card. We just type in our phone number....when I bother to go to Walgreens.

Mamma has spoken said...

Did you know you can get that balance card on-line? If he was that smart he would have done it already ;o)
Darn, just read the other comments and Frances beat me to it........

ND Chic said...

Gotta give it to your kid. He approached you with a money saving idea for himself and wanted you to use your money. Pretty smart.

Sonya Ann said...

Annie-Maybe you are rubbing off on both of us. Or should that be just rubbing?

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Now I have no excuse. Darn it.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-Now all I have to do is, do it!I seem to be in a procrastination stage. Hmmm, maybe coffee will help.

Sonya Ann said...

ND Chic-Yeah but I'm still not going to tell him he is smart. I am evil!