Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Feed Me

I think I should just rename this blog, "What Sonya has screwed up now!" It might make for a better read.
I have been tracking our grocery expenses for 7 weeks now. Its a record for me. See getting the Iphone was a good investment. Ok fine not really but I still love it even after getting the bill! But the phone did make it easier to track my expenses and if I could ever get the grocery bill down, I could use that as justification for buying the phone. I wouldn't buy it either but I'm still looking for a reason to justify the phone.
I averaged it out and we are spending an average of $131.03 a week. Hmmmm, not so good since I have $100 budgeted. But I do have an excuse-well sort of. Our next door neighbor's daughter died. And we made at least, $100 worth of food for them. And that is on the low side.
Just so I don't start balling again, I'll only skim over what happened next door. Their only son was hit by a truck and killed a few years ago, he was about 28 when it happened. Their only daughter had cancer and fought for 2 years before she passed away. Amanda has a 3 year old daughter. I was fine until Lilly(the three year old) came up to me and said, "my mommy is dead."
Since Den and I have known them for almost half of our lives(yes, we have lived her for that long), we had to do something. So we cooked for almost an entire day. I hope it helped but at this point I don't know anything that can help those poor people.
How in Hell can I go from a food budget to death? I make myself miserable and confused just trying to sort it. But anyways, if we hadn't hadn't cooked for them our total would have been around $116 a week. I'll try and do better.
Off to eat,
Sonya Ann

16 comments:

ND Chic said...

I cannot imagine the pain that you neighbors are in. I'm so sorry to hear that.

D.Lynn said...

You're already a better person for what you did. And hey, ration DJ for a while -that should help and if it doesn't, rent him out for awhile.

Sonya Ann said...

ND Chic-Honestly, I'm not an emotions person but I can't even look or think about them without crying.

Sonya Ann said...

D.Lynn-Thanks but it doesn't seem like enough really.
And Den thinks we should charge the boy rent. He says that will encourage him to leave faster. LOL

slugmama said...

No parents should bury their child....it just isn't right.
My heat goes out to all of you, especially Lilly.

Mamma has spoken said...

I was going to make a joke about how $100 a week is our booze bill alone but then as I read, I felt how inappropriate that would be.
Thoughts and prayers to you and your neighbor but especially Lilly.

Hawaii Planner said...

Hugs. I too cook when I don't know how to help someone out. You're a wonderful neighbor to help.

McVal said...

You are a GOOD neighbor!!! And just remember that the houses on both sides of mine are for sale...
Poor Lily. How sad!

Sunny said...

How tragic for your neighbours. Good of you to help.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-It is just so sad. I was happy to see that they had Lilly for the weekend. At least, they still have some happiness.

Sonya Ann said...

Mamma-There are times when our booze bill is that much too. And it wasn't inappropriate.

Sonya Ann said...

Hawaii Planner-Sometimes its all you can do.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I think that you would get sick of me. But you would have a ton of things to write about. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

Sunny-Thank you so much.

Frances said...

You are a good neighbor, SonyaAnn. Budget be damned this month. Some things are more important.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I.......LOVE........YOU!