Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Budget's Theme Song

This is a blurry picture of a tablet of paper on the side of my frig. Boring and blurry-that's all I got for ya. On a positive note, I won it from Mama Bonnie. So it was free and its blurry. Honestly, leave now.
I tried tracking our spending on my phone. It worked but it didn't. I would type everything in and then tally it at the end. And I would stress over the number after all was said and done. Like I said, it worked and it didn't.
I have $100 a week for gas for me, DJ and Den. Anna has to pay for her own gas. She still charges on our gas credit card so I get the points but the money comes from her account. I deserve something for all of the account work that I do for this family. ;)
We also have $100 a week for food. We are down to three people now but for some reason I can't get our spending below this. You would think that it would have dropped by $25 when Anna left but nope.
I have $200 a week total and I can borrow from food to pay for gas and vice-versa when needed. If only it worked. 
And now I know the problem-I have never had a miscellaneous category in my budget. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it was a stupid move. I always have funds set aside for this or that for the year. But never for the week. I was trying to pull money from the food or gas fund and that was the problem.
A small home repair, the I-pass needs to be replenished,  a picnic, or God knows what else and I was over for the week. It was also stressing me out. I like to accomplish the goals that I set for myself. Unfortunately, my goals and real life aren't in sync. Hey, I think that we need a theme song. Damn, I'll never get that song out of my head.
So I loosened up the purse strings and added another $100 to the week for whatever. This about killed me. But whatever is left, I save. I mean in the end, I was doing the same thing before but I was a lot more worked up about it. Life-ebb and flow. Budget-ebb and flow.
About the same amount is going into savings every week so I'm fine with this and nothing changed. So what did you learn from stopping here? Probably nothing. Or that a piece of paper helped lower my stress level. Or maybe all you got out of this was a song stuck in your head? Yeah, that's it.
Bye, Bye, Bye,
Sonya Ann


8 comments:

mama .bonnie said...

I think you need to watch an episode or two of Til Debt Do Us Part (http://www.cnbc.com/id/33421145) not that you are overspenders but she ALWAYS has a jar for misc. Plus she has a great budget guide (http://www.debtfreeforever.ca/resources/guide_to_building_budget.html) if for anything else, it's a handy paper version to help you think of the uh-os that happen in life.

Jenny Woolf said...

yes, "miscellaneous" is a big help when budgeting! :)

McVal said...

You are doing awesome making that work!!! I wish we could...

slugmama said...

Well that's a crappy theme song.
Can't we do better?

How about this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P2qL3qkzk

Or this one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuRhETwbI0

That miscellaneous will always trip ya up....

Sonya Ann said...

mamma-Thank you so much for the info. I am always looking for some area to tweak to save a bit more.

Sonya Ann said...

Jenny-I have so many odd things popping up here and there that we have to pay for. Being a grown up sucks.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-All Im doing is spinning my tires. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I love both of them! Hahaha, I'm old.
And I suck at the whole money thing anymore. Grrrr.