Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance

Sometimes, we all just need a refresher course in saving money. I think some of my problem is complacency. Other times, I think I know it all. And once in a while, I think I'm lazy or slow.
Dearest Flo upped our car insurance and our homeowners insurance AGAIN! I hate and I mean, I HATE changing insurance companies. It takes forever to get everything straightened out. So I let it slide last year when they upped it just a little bit.
We have been with Progressive for 3 years and everything was peachy the first year and a half and then everything started to creep up. Damn you Flo, damn you.
Our monthly bill was going from $338 to $350 a month. That is crazy money.
I checked out Geico and it was so easy to use their site. The site downloaded most of the information that needed to be entered. I have no idea how they got all the vin numbers from our cars and our drivers license numbers but hey, I didn't have to do it. It might be magic.
Guess how much we are saving? No really,  guess. Fine, be a party-pooper. We are saving half. Yes, HALF! Our new bill will be $175 a month and we will have better coverage. Mind you, I know that in 2ish years, I will be back here complaining that Geico upped our rates but hey, I'll take it where I can get it.
So the moral of the story is we should check for better rates every year. I left the homeowners with Progressive because it has been paid already but I will next year to see if we can get it cheaper somewhere else.
Now if I could only shop around and get half off of all of my other bills!
Bill slasher,
Sonya Ann

10 comments:

mama .bonnie said...

We have Progressive too. Our bills with them had been steadily going down, down, down and I was loving it. Last cycle the bill went up! Hubby called and asked why because we were told that every six months we stayed with them, the bill would do this. He was given some song and dance about it being KY, there was an added fee because of KY, just a load of crap.
He reminded them that we/he hadn't EVER had a claim on his insurance since we started with them and they did lower it back to the old amount.
Now we got a notice that we are a Silver member because we've been with them for five years. Can't wait to see what that gets me as far as rates go or I might be visiting that green lizard too.

Sonya Ann said...

mama-I don't know what we did to them. LOL.
I tried to get them to lower it and they didn't. All I got was you can up your deductibles. Nope, not happening.
I'm glad that they are so good to you though. I think its me really.

slugmama said...

I really should do some shopping around for car insurance instead of keeping it with "the like a good neighbor" folks.

I will be so glad once all the kids are off our car insurance tho!
The daughter is off already and the oldest is still on but he reimburses us for what he costs so we just have to get the youngest booted off but that won't be for quite awhile yet as he's only 17.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I hate hate hate looking for insurance. But look how much I saved so I should shut up.
Anna is still on our policy but she pays for her part and DJ has to pay his part too. I'm mean like that. Mr. Money Pincher was quite happy that I was passing some of the savings on to him. Mind you, he will still watch every penny that I "take" from him but he smiled briefly. Maybe it was just gas. He doesn't like to smile.

mama .bonnie said...

Update: Just got my next six month bill; it was $200 less than the last 6 months :o)

Sonya Ann said...

mama-Now you are just bragging! :P

Cheapchick said...

I used to be in insurance. they had your vin nunbers and drivers license numbers because Insurance companies report to a central agency to make sure people are telling the truth about accident and vehicle history. They do this in Canada as well. Cheers!

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-And to think that I thought it was magic. Thanks for the info.

Frances said...

We signed up with Progressive when it first came to Houston years ago. And our rates kept inching up. One day a State Farm agent called out of the blue and asked if they could quote us a policy. I just KNEW they could not beat Progressive's rates.

Guess what?

They did. And we are still with State Farm years later. I have shopped almost yearly and cannot find a better rate. I think we have a really good agent. :-)

Glad you saved some money!

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I'm glad that you have a good agent. That makes all the difference in the world.
I'm glad that I switched. The rates will continue to go up just because we have a 17 year old boy on the policy.