Thursday, October 24, 2013

Delinquent Child

When I think about a "bad boy" I often think of Charlie Sheen in Ferris Bueller's day off. I know I am dating myself. He was a rebel and didn't care. Fists in the air screaming, "screw the establishment." I am 41 and fist pumping can now cause pain and I respect the establishment. Being a grown-up is such a bore.
I know that I complain a lot about my children. They cause me problems like so many children. It's their job. I know this and you know this. I am very blessed though. Anna and DJ were/are good kids(not like I would have tolerated anything else). They have always been good students and stayed out of trouble. There have been a few stunts here and there but nothing that was that bad. DJ is in all high honors/AP classes, and a honor roll student and is in tech. He is not a problem or so I thought. DJ got kicked out of school. If Den and I had to have guessed which one of the kids that would have gotten kicked out, we both would have bet on Anna. She had a wild streak.
DJ prides himself on being one of the good kids. He is respectful to his teachers and tries to do well. That is why this is so funny.
At the end of last school year, the nurse sent home a letter saying that DJ wasn't in compliance with the new TDAP shots and that he would be expelled from school his senior year if he didn't get another shot. I called our doctor's office and spoke with the nurse. She assured me that he was compliant. She called the school nurse but she had left for the summer.
The beginning of this year, I got a warning letter. I called the school nurse and couldn't get a return call. So I sent DJ in with a note from me and he tried to explain to her that the nurse from the doctor's office says that he is compliant with the new requirements. She handed it all back and told DJ it wasn't the right shot.
I called and left another message the week before the deadline and BEGGED for a return call so DJ wouldn't get kicked out of school. No return call!
Guess what? They yanked DJ out of class after the deadline had come and gone, sent him to the office and then the office worker was flat out nasty to him for not getting the shot even when he tried to explain the situation. She then asked him which parent he wanted her to call. He said he couldn't help but smile when he said, "call mom" because he knew I would go off.
The conversation with the office worker started off tense, to say the least. I told her the entire story and while she did apologize and take down my number and the doctor's office number, they still sent him home. BUT she promised me a return call at the end of the day. If you guessed that I didn't get a call-YOU WERE RIGHT!
The next morning, I started my day off with a cup of coffee and a call to the principal. He was the only one that tried to straighten it out. He allowed DJ to go back to school and promised that the school nurse would call the nurse at the doctor's office and it would be straightened out ASAP.
In the end, the school was wrong. He never should have been kicked out in the first place, he had had all of his shots. SIGH
I keep calling DJ our delinquent son and a bad boy. He doesn't find this funny-it tarnishes his reputation. When he came home from school after being kicked out, his face was bright red from being angry and a bit ashamed. I couldn't help it, I laughed hard at him. He takes life and his academics VERY SERIOUSLY. He is so straight-laced. I'm not which is why I laughed that he ended up in that situation. My laughing seemed to tick him off more which made me laugh even harder. I'm probably the only parent that would laugh at this. Or maybe you just have to know DJ, he is an 80 year old crotchety man stuck in a 17 year old's body.
Bad mom,
Sonya Ann

16 comments:

mama .bonnie said...

Are you sure the lady at the school is a real nurse? I mean, many of them in my school district are just someone who was willing to do the job :o/

slugmama said...

Poor DJ.
Dealing with a high school is almost as bad as dealing with a government agency.

Cheapchick said...

I am afraid I "might" have marched down to that school and "created" a new "opening" on that woman. For crying out loud!

Sunny Day said...

He is going to put you in a home!! LOL
What a horrible nurse though.

Sonya Ann said...

mama-That never even crossed my mind. Everyone calls her the nurse but I didn't ask if she was a nurse. Whatever she is, she needs to answer her calls.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-A government agency is worse but only by a little.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-My girlfriend said I needed to go to the school but I was afraid that the police would be called. I was upset to say the least.

Sonya Ann said...

Sunny Day-I just hope that he doesn't pick the home. LOL

Jane said...

LOLOLOL! As we all know this is why we have children in the first place - to humour us! Tell DJ he is doing a great job as a son :)

Frances said...

Sorry DJ has to go through that. I am really glad you didn't go and hurt the nurse. It is getting too close to Christmas to have to bail you out of jail.

But we would if we had to.

j said...

HMMM you want I should gather up your friends and we will teach her how to answer the phone?

Sheila said...

So sorry to hear this bit of news. OH the drama schools create.

OAN, I love that bad boy...Charlie Sheen, not your son LOL But I'm sure I'd love your son too if I met him :)

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-This kid is killing me. I really don't know how people with a bunch of kids do it. Two was quite a bit to manage.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-It's nice to know that there are people that will bail me out. It's just a matter of time that I will need someone to call.

Sonya Ann said...

j-Bahahaha, I LOVE your style!

Sonya Ann said...

Sheila-I will ship the boy to you. He's not really a bad boy more of a slob boy.