Monday, November 18, 2013

Car Boo Boos

It seems that I am spending a lot of time writing about cars lately. Well about our cars. Honestly, I would be over the moon happy if we got one damned car sorted. Literally, we don't have one car that is ok. None of the problems are major but things just keep cropping up with each car. Anna said 2013 hasn't been our year. I said no one died so its not that bad. I think I was trying to convince myself more than her.
DJ car went in the shop. Den can only do so much. And he has done much. After he did the head gasket on the car, we have had phantom codes that have set off the check engine light. Even the mechanic agreed that nothing is wrong with the car but he will keep looking. I like this mechanic. He charged us $180 and he fixed the windshield washer pump,  fixed the rear defroster, looked for the gremlin, and worked on an oil leak. He was more than fair.
DJ's car leaks oil. Not terrible but still he's leaking. The mechanic thought that it would be a better idea to try stop-leak and tighten everything up first. How's that for honest! The gasket on the oil pan is probably leaking along with the timing belt/chain cover. He said there was too much oil to tell for sure so he added a dye so he could get a better idea where it is coming from. It is an $800 job to fix it. He doesn't think that it is worth it to dump that kind of money into a 1999 Lumina.
We are grateful that he was so upfront about it. This is a problem that we are going to watch.
That said, we feel that $800 isn't that bad. And we feel that the car is still worth it. The motor and the transmission are in great shape. Even the body isn't that bad. Unfortunately, this is a job that Den can't do. To completely remove the oil pan, he has to move the transmission and pull the motor up. It won't be happening in the Mott garage.
So I will set aside even more money in the car fund for 2014. And I'm still calm about it.
Anna will be coming home for Thanksgiving and we are going to schedule an appointment so she can get her car fixed while she is home. This is another project that Den can't do. A valve needs to be replaced behind the motor and he can't get to it because the firewall is in the way. Sigh.
As DJ and I were driving to pick up his car, the check engine light came on in my van. You know, I can't make this shit up.
 Laughing not crying,
Sonya Ann

10 comments:

Cheapchick said...

Vehicles are money pits no matter how old unfortunately. Wishing you some good car karma!

McVal said...

That seems to be the way over here too. But in this case, it's tires. While one is getting fixed, another is losing air...
Stupid cars.
I hope 2014 is YOUR year!

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-I just wish that I could get one in good shape. Just one!
Thanks for the car karma.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I think tire problems might be cheaper but I really don't want to test that one out.

Jane said...

Cars have firewalls? Huh, the things I DON'T know about cars could fill several books.
Like you say $800 is better than 4 monthly car payments!

j said...

OMG MCVal I was going to say the same thing. We have had to replace two tires this month because on had a 9 inch nail(not the group) in it and could not be safely patched. And my youngest managed to pop a tire on a curb at school.

Sonya keep laughing...maybe the car gremlin will think we are all crazy and he will leave us all alone.....

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-Did I ever tell you about the time that Den cut part of a firewall out to get a bigger motor in a trans am?
And he did leave out a heat shield in DJ's car. It happens around here.
The problems are coming at a fast an furious pace!

Sonya Ann said...

j-I'm sick of that shitty gremlin. I would say run his ass over but he would probably pop a tire.

Frances said...

This reminds me of one of may favorite quotes.

"Cheer up," they said, "things could be worse."

I did.

They were.

Don't remember where I heard it years ago, but still love it.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I love it.
I know I sound like a whiner but wth every car has a problem and going into the holiday season isn't the best time for all of them to start causing problems. Bad cars, bad!