Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Poor Man's Pot Pie

Doesn't that look yummy? It was good. And you know how I hate to cook or spend money so its super easy and super cheap! Go me!!!
I make this whenever I get turkey or chicken super cheap or when there are tons of leftovers. You know that baggie of chicken/turkey bits at the back of the freezer, this is a good way to use it. The lonely $.69 bag of mixed veggies that no one wants would love to be in a pot pie. Just throw whatever you have in there. The recipe is more of a guideline than an absolute. But I would stick with the cream of celery soup it really gives it the flavor.
2 cups turkey/chicken
5 cans cream of celery soup
32 oz bag of hash browns(I only use these cuz I don't want to cut up potatoes)
1 crown of broccoli or half a bag of frozen broccoli
1 bag of mixed vegetables
Pie crusts
Mix everything together and fill your pie crusts. Wrap the edges of the pie with aluminum foil(to prevent it from burning) and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 25 minutes.
This will make enough filling for 4 pies. We only eat two pies at a time so................
I put a gallon baggie in one of the empty pie tins, fill it then freeze it. That way I know I have exactly the amount I need for another pot pie. Ta da! Eat your heart out Martha.
Go ahead be jealous,
Sonya Ann

14 comments:

slugmama said...

At first, as I was reading, I am thinking, "5 CANS of soup & 2 c. turkey!?....how the hell can she fit that into a pot pie?".
Then I saw 2# of taters and lots of veggies and I figured out it was MANY pot pies.
Yes, I am smart like that!

And freezing your filling in the shape of the pan?
Shear genius.
Me so jealous.....

McVal said...

You are brilliant! Gotta do this... You have no idea how many bags of turkey I have in our freezer...

mama .bonnie said...

When I read 5 cans of celery soup, I thought you were feeding an army! But all's good after seeing it makes so many. Too bad the family doesn't like pot pies :o/

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I just kind of wing the recipe. Get it wing? I'm not funny.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I'm a terrible cook but I can make a pot pie. That really isn't saying much though.

Sonya Ann said...

mama-Sometimes I think we eat like an army especially Anna. Good grief she can put it away.

ND Chic said...

My husband doesn't like cream soups so I make mine with ground beef and vegetable soup.

Sonya Ann said...

ND Chic-What kind of soup just the concentrated veg soup? The cheap stuff?

ND Chic said...

Yup, I buy the generic for this at about 50 cents a can.

Sonya Ann said...

ND Chic-Thank you. I'm going to have to try that one. I bet Den would love it.

Frances said...

I love pot pie I might just have to make this. It sounds delish.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-And its cheap and easy-like me!!!

Lisa Richardson said...

Love the freezing the filling in the shape of the pan! Brilliant!

Sonya Ann said...

Lisa Richardson-Thank you so much! And thank you for coming to see me.