Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cars, Cars, Cars

That's not my car. I probably shouldn't even post a picture like that on my blog. It may give the gremlins that watch over me ideas.
Our car drama hasn't stopped. It followed us into 2014. I did get my Christmas wish of having one car fixed though. Thank you, Santa. I'm sorry I didn't wish for all four cars fixed.
I'm happy to say that Anna's car is running strong. And she only put it in the ditch twice when all the bad weather hit. Maybe this is why we have problems. LOL. She did manage to get it out both times by herself and get groceries. She said that they were eating odds and ends because that was all that was left in the house. It has to be bad if a college student is complaining. She parked her car after she got groceries and isn't going out anymore.
Den's windshield is still cracked.  I doubt that it will improve on its own. The creaking has subsided though. I'll take it. Den seems to think that it wasn't aligned properly and that it just broke itself in. Fine, I'll take whatever explanation you give me as long as the money stays in the checkbook.
My lovely van is really misbehaving. It is creaking horribly and I got a recall about the creaking. Who would have thunk it? I guess it has to do with some arms that hold the tires in place. They are rusting through and can cause an accident. Can I just say, AWESOME!!!! That sounds like a ride I want to take. It still beeps when you back up, and I keep getting a flat. So off to the dealer I go! I doubt that I will be getting tires there though. We aren't made of money. Just for shits and giggles, I'm sure that they will print out a list of everything that needs to be done. My guess it will have an estimate attached to it for close to $4000. They find so many things that they want to fix. Bless them really.
And last but not least, the lovely Lumina. I'm not tired of the abuse yet. We spent $500 and all that was fixed was the windshield wiper fluid pump. The car is in really, really good shape. It runs like a charm but the damned light will NOT GO OFF! I think secretly Den is loving this. The certified mechanics didn't find the problem either. Maybe I will show everyone up and fix it myself.
So I think what I am going to do is leave it. Maybe it will magically fix itself like Den's car did. Or maybe we will just wait until it gets warm out(BAHAHAHAHA, NEVER) and then Den can replace all of the hoses. That is the only thing that I can come up with. The mix is lean. That is the code that keeps coming up. Meaning that the air/gas ratio is off. I'm going with a pinched hose. We have replaced everything else on the car, we might as well do the hose too. It really is going to be a completely new car.  I have a plan though. You can get $25 off of a $50 purchase if you give one of the local stores your cell number. I'm going to give all of our phone numbers and buy the parts at different times. I'll also see if I can't get a cheap gift card from one of the gift card resale places.
So to recap all of this, I'm still screwed. But I have a plan. It is the same plan as the one I had last year but I'm going with it. Maybe 2015 will be the year that I get all the cars fixed?
Grease Monkey,
Sonya Ann
PS-Frances is the winner of the $25 gift code! Yay Frances!!!!!

13 comments:

ND Chic said...

I had a Monte Carlo, similar to a Lumina. The check engine light was always on but it ran great. I just gave up trying to figure out what was wrong. I had a lot of fun in that car. I miss it :(

slugmama said...

Don't most insurance policies cover windshield replacement? Ours always have been free.....call Safelite Glass or whoever they have out in the wilds of IL.

My Lumina APV(their version of a minivan)was so independent it developed a mind of it's own....it would decide to just cut the engine off, usually while you were cruising at 60mph down the interstate.....then the brakes and steering would look up and you'd be hurtling down the highway not being able to stop or steer......good times!

Your van issue sounds like my emergency $900 repair in Pittsburgh last month.....rack & pinion/tie rod issues.
Again, good times!!

Make sure you both put that Lumina in your will cuz it's going to outlive all of you! lolz

Sonya Ann said...

ND Chic-While the Lumina is not a fun car to me, Anna and DJ both think very fondly of that car since it was their first car. That car survived 2 teenagers-how's that for tough!

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-It is cheaper to replace it ourselves then pay the deductible and the higher rates. But good thinking.
I pray that the Lumina doesn't pull the same shit as yours. DJ isn't a good driver under pressure.
I'm tired of car repairs. And I know you are too. I'm just tired of all the money on the way out the door.
It may outlive us but it will just be a shell because it seems to be rusting quite a bit and pieces are now dropping off. LOL

j said...

My car still isn't done! I am hoping to get it back by monday now...sigh. 2014 the year of the car

McVal said...

Yay Frances!!!
Cars... bless them! Because you need to get out sometimes.
I know better than to curse out my car when in it. Because that's when I get a flat on the interstate or the oil all leaks out. *ssh it can hear you!**

Frances said...

Yeah me! I love being a winner!

Sorry to hear you are still having car issues.

We took Hubby's car to the brake place as something sounded like it was rubbing. Thank God most of it was under warranty. It ONLY cost us $230.

Jane said...

Cars cars....trucks! I think God is sitting up there laughing his ass off at us stupid humans - "they shoulda stuck with horses!" I can't get the driver's side door open on my truck. I have to nonchalontly walk to the passenger side, open it, then push up the power lock button which will pop up the driver side button, walk around the truck and get it. I guess that beats getting in the passenger side and then scooching across the front seat into the driver's side. Not by much though...sigh...

Sonya Ann said...

j-Here is to hoping! I don't know what is going on with everyone and their cars. And I agree this is the year of the car.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Maybe all the planets are in line to trash the cars. I have heard of planets aligning for luck but maybe destroying cars in up there too.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-You and sweet knees seem to get lucky when it comes to cars. I'm so glad. Please send me some of your luck with cars!

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-I would hate to bring a horse in for work. Seems scary. LOL
Is it the cold weather doing it to your door or is it a real problem? Bless Dougie's heart.

Lillian Jenkins said...

My husband and I encountered a similar issue recently with our Lumina, so we can empathize with your troubles! The windshield wiper kept jamming. And as everyone knows, it is kind of an essential component of a car. Especially when you live in an area constantly battered by rain! Luckily, ours only cost $200 to fix because my hubby has a good friend who happens to be a mechanic.

Lillian Jenkins @ Enterprise Glass