Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I Lie

Pintos the crap car of the 70's
I'm not saying that I lie to you. I'm just going to point out the fact that I did lie to you. I said and I quote(do you have to use quotes when you quote yourself? I say yes just for the fun of it.)"So off to the dealer I go! I doubt that I will be getting tires there though. We aren't made of money." I guess that we are made of money! We brought my lovely van into the dealer for the recall. Out of all of the vans that they had done the recall on mine was the only the second one that had to have the front and back control arms replaced. They were rusting through.
They also went through and made a to do list. Sigh. I did some checking and since there are sensors in the tires, the best deal that I could get was at the dealer. Then they started to rattle off a bunch of things that would love to fix for me.
The check engine light was on and Den said he thought that it was the air filter/air filter area. He was right. They said that it was a hose with two sensors on it and would cost $240 to replace it because it had a crack. Ummmmm yeah, I need to hand the phone off to my husband. I'm sure he would have had my head on a platter if I paid that kind of money for a hose. Den told him no and then later told me that a piece of duct tape would literally fix it. We always try to keep our vehicles in tip top shape but I can't see replacing a hose when $.05 worth of tape will do the same thing. They also said that it needed gaskets for a mere $534. UGH and they wanted to replace the hose on the power steering. Den told them to do the tires and the bushings since that was something that he couldn't do(you have to pull the frame apart and he doesn't have the tools). So when we went and picked the van up, the guy admitted that they never even looked at the gaskets or the hose for the power steering, they just quote those by the miles on the van. UNBELIEVABLE!
The good news is I feel I didn't get completely raped at the dealer. We spent $1134.88 and I got new tires, bushings, and they fixed three recalls. The tires alone were almost $800.
Now you are caught up on my car issues. We have spend $1327.97 so far this year on vehicles and it is still only January. I just keep telling myself that as soon as this is fixed we won't have anymore problems for the year. No really, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Still a dreamer,
Sonya Ann
PS-Deb Coy is the winner of the $25 restaurant.com gift code. Congrats Deb! Please email me your info and I will get that right out to you!

16 comments:

slugmama said...

Well you got me beat so far for 2014. I just paid a $982.59 bill to Firestone for an oil change and rack & pinion work.
There went any extra cash into savings for Jan......
bleh.

And never stop lying to me, ok?

Cheapchick said...

I saw the car picture before entering your blog and thought "what else can go wrong?" lol

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-"And never stop lying to me, ok?"-You make me laugh all the time. You are nuts.
Let's not make this a race of who can spend the most on our cars. The worst personal challenge EVER!

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-You know me all too well!
My parents had a Pinto when I was a kid. It was god-awful. The motor started to fall out! Really. They bolted it back in and traded it in.

Lena said...

Boo! We never go to the dealership - they are a complete rip-off. We have a guy who fixes both of our cars, and he's very honest. But our minivan needs to be fixed again, and we need new tires too... I'm s not looking forward to all these expenses...Maybe, tax returns?

McVal said...

Oh my goodness!!! We've spent roughly $700 so far this year. I'm pretty sure we'll pass you up when 2014 ends. or die trying.
My first car was a Pinto. I named it Cruiser after Tom Cruise because he was hot then. Well, he is now too, but he's weird now.
I loved that car until someone drove over the top of it.

mama .bonnie said...

WOW that amount is 3 months of car payments for me! Though to confess, when I have a car that I end up spending that kind of money on for repairs, I trade it in for a new car fresh off the lot........

Frances said...

All our big expenses so far this year are for medical. Ugh!

I had a Pinto and LOVED that car!

Out My window said...

Hey I had a car like that in the late 70's. but mine was white with red racing stripes! It was a piece of crap!

Sonya Ann said...

Lena-It seems as if 2014 is the year of car repairs. That is scary! We don't go to the dealer but I had to for the recalls. And the tires were the same as the other places so it was easier just to get it done there. Now here is the crazy thing, my van had a recall on it a while ago and I took it to a dealer in a posh neighborhood and they wanted $600 to do the bushings. Here they wanted $250ish. Hmmmm, I guess the lesson is not to go to expensive neighborhoods for work.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-There are so many people in the "lets spend all our $ on cars this year" race. It sucks really.
Tom was hot, now he seems like a creeper.
Ok please tell the story about when your pinto got run over. Did it catch on fire?

Sonya Ann said...

mama-You are lucky to get new cars. I'm really hoping that we get the cars sorted and then we are done with paying on them for the year.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Didn't mean to bash your car.
Ok, medical bills are worse. That is a race I don't want to jump in. You can win hands down.

Sonya Ann said...

Out My Window-It sounds like it had an awesome paint job even though it sucked a bit.

Sunny said...

You are very lucky to have such a handy guy. How outrageous that they didn't even check but wanted to charge you for repairs you probably don't need.

Sonya Ann said...

Sunny-RIGHT! At least, look under the HOOD!